Debaters make school history at state competition

Isaia Wilcoxen, Editor-in-Chief

Taking on state debate was a challenge to overcome; however, with perseverance and teamwork the team pulled through.

The debate team went to the state debate competition Jan. 20-21 in Lyons, KS.

“I thought it went really well,” head coach Tim Leffert said. “We had a strong showing in both divisions. It was the first time placing third ever at state.”

According to Leffert, some students participated in 2-speak debate, where two partners debate against other teams, and 4-speak debate, which includes four debaters on one team.

In 4-speak debate, the team took third in the state, which is a school record. This included seniors Jalen Zwart and Abby Neal and juniors Michael Gentry and Cara Bruce. Sophomores Dylan Hendrix and Jamie Fogleson were alternates.

“Collectively, I am very happy with the results,” Bruce said. “We have had an amazing season so far and that’s accredited to the hardworking debaters and the coaches who worked double time to get us there.”

2-Speak debaters included seniors Corey Mann and Raven Fletcher, who placed 35th; senior Jana Zeeb and junior Daijah Jones, who were double octafinalists; juniors Kara Evans and Tyler Ash, who tied for fifth place as octafinalists; and sophomores Chris Baumli and Scout Molder, who were double octafinalists. Junior Alexander Falk was an alternate and timekeeper.

“The hardest part for me was finding the endurance to keeping winning,” Evans said. “Tyler and I debated a total of eight rounds, so it was easy to lose energy.”

Despite the challenges, Evans said they overcame and obtained success.

“I had to remind myself why I was there, how hard I’ve worked, how I have so many amazing people who are supporting me and how much I wanted to win,” Evans said. “That strength pushed Tyler and me as far as we did.”

Mann had similar thoughts, despite feeling he could have done better.

“Raven and I did really well together, although we didn’t end up with the results we wanted,” Mann said. “I’m just happy that my last year was spent with her as a partner, because she made up for my weaknesses and I made up for hers.”

For some debaters, the attitude of winning is what made the competition enjoyable.

“I personally had a great time,” Zeeb said. “State always has a more serious atmosphere than regular season, so the level of effort and competition that everyone puts in is noticeable, but I think that challenge is what makes it really fun.”

Like Mann, Zeeb thought she could have done better.

“As far as results, I’m glad to have done better than last year, but like everything I’m still wondering if there were some small things I could have said differently to do better,” Zeeb said.

With next year in mind, Bruce plans to use her experience to obtain a higher placement.

“I was hoping for better results this year,” Bruce said. “Next year we’re definitely after first. But making school history was fine this time.”