Both basketball teams look to advance to state for first time in school history

Hannah Pappert

Members of the girls’ varsity basketball team listen to coach Shane Stout’s advice during the season opener against Ottowa Dec. 2.

Dirk Beashore, Sports Editor

The boys’ and girls’ basketball teams will be playing in the sub-state tournament this weekend at home. Both teams are top seeded in the bracket and will look to use the homecourt advantage to help them punch their tickets to the state tournament.

Following the opening matchup between Basehor-Linwood and Atchison, which will be played Thursday, March 3, at 6 p.m., the Pirates will start their week off at 7:30 p.m. in the gym when they take on Tonganoxie. The Chieftains come into the game with a 4-16 record on the year, while the Pirates come in with an 18-2 record and undefeated in the Kaw Valley League.

Senior Jalen Taylor said he thinks the team not only has a chance to win sub-state, but also to make a run in the playoffs.

“We have a great team, depth and talent,” Taylor said. “We can ride the momentum from the regular season to the state championship game in my opinion.”  

Both teams will be playing for a chance to play in the sub-state championship game against the winner of the Basehor-Linwood and Atchison game. The sub-state championship game will be played on Saturday, March 4, at 7:30 p.m.

The Lady Pirates’ postseason opener will be Friday, March 4, at 7:30 p.m., following the first matchup which takes place at 6 p.m. between Basehor-Linwood and Atchison. The Lady Pirates, ending the season with a 19-1 record, will face Tonganoxie, who comes into the postseason with a 7-13 record. Following an undefeated league season, the Lady Pirates are not going to take their success for granted.

“We can’t take any opponent for granted,” senior Maya Morrow said. The winner of both games will play in the sub-state championship game Saturday, March 4 at 6 p.m. in the gym.

During the sub-state and state tournaments, activity passes will not be valid to enter the games. The cost at the gate will be $6 for adults and $5 for students K-12.

For in-game updates and stats, follow @KCPiperNews on Twitter.