Tri-M students make concert etiquette video to entertain, educate

Dalia Mejia

Seniors Katelyn Angell and Corey Mann pose at the end of a song at the choir concert Oct. 12.

Isaia Wilcoxen, Editor-in-Chief

In order to celebrate Music Appreciation Month, this March students got creative to extend their appreciation of music to others.

Members of the Tri-M Music Honor Society created a video about concert etiquette that was shown to the elementary students to encourage courtesy during musical performances.

“We made the video because we wanted to educate younger kids about how to properly respect music and performers,” president senior Skylar Harper said.

Harper wrote the script with the help of choir director Shelly Cole. Then the members of the organization performed the script, which was recorded and made into a video.

“We chose to make a video because we were able to make it fun and entertaining for the kids, but also have an educational value to it,” Harper said.

The sole purpose of the organization is to serve others while incorporating music, and Harper said that this goal was met.

“This year through Tri-M I feel like we were able to spread more music positivity to those around us, and I hope that continues to grow,” Harper said.

Historian junior Scott Ladish agreed.

“I think making the video went really well,” Ladish said. “I felt that everybody was given an equal opportunity to be a part of something that would be shared through our community, which is awesome!”

Tri-M aims to serve the community in more ways than one.

“I feel that music is one of the main factors that can produce positive change in people’s lives,” Harper said. “It gives you more empathy to people around you who have felt the same way towards music and it’s eye opening to realize that other people feel that way, too.”

As a way to connect people, Harper said using music can unify people.

“I like serving people with music because I feel like it’s the one thing that can really unite people,” Harper said. “Music is capable of bringing people from different backgrounds and ethnicities together as one.”