Being a Piper athlete is an honor

Hannah Pappert

Seniors Micaiah Noel, J.J. Letcher and Dirk Beashore led the Pirates out before the homecoming matchup against Bonner Springs. The Pirates won 33-20. With 27 victories and 4 playoff appearences, the class of 2017 has the fourth most wins in school history.

Dirk Beashore, Sports Editor

The flag. The purple. The white. The black. The Pirates of the Caribbean theme music. The Skull. That’s just a sip of what its like to be a Piper Pirate, even if you’re the last player on the sideline.

You need to know you’re part of something special that you’ll cherish the rest of your life. I didn’t believe that at first, but four years goes by faster than you think. It seems like yesterday I was at the first freshman practice, snapping the ball over Danny Bradley’s head. Now I can look back and laugh, but at the time I got so mad at myself, it actually motivated me to find something I’m good at. That happened to be long snapping.

When your Piper athletic career is over and you turn in your jerseys, you’ll realize how much of a privilege it is to truly be a member of this big, elite family.

Senior Track and Field runner Verlin Judie, feels the same way.

“I feel honored being a Piper athlete because I know that there are so many things that you have to live up to, and doing things that benefit our school, our teams, and taking pride in what we do,” Judie said. “No matter what sport you play we’re a family, and that is what being a Pirate means to me, we are one family.”

Judie isn’t the only one to feel that way. Senior Maya Morrow also feels that being a Pirate is an honor, however you can’t take it for granted.

“You still have the room to improve not matter what, everyday you can get that much better than your opponent.”

People want to know why I continue play football even though I don’t play that much.

I love being part of a team. I know my brothers will have my back no matter what. If I screw up, they’ll be there, and when I do great, they’ll be there to celebrate with me. The team is what keeps me going through every workout; I don’t want to let a single person down.

Long snappers are not noticed much — until they make a mistake. I make sure I take it seriously. One bad snap, and I might have just lost the team the game.  I know I’m going to miss hitting the sign above the locker room door that reads “our house” and getting the goosebumps right before kick off; all of that was part of the privilege of being a Pirate.

Being a Pirate is a honor, not a right. All the players who wore the uniform before you wore it with pride, and every person after should too. My father, Uncle Gary and Uncle Chad all wore these colors with pride, and all I wanted was to do the same.

I may only be a long snapper, but if I wasn’t I probably wouldn’t have the the opportunity to be able to play more football in college. I was truly blessed to be a part of an outstanding organization. Being a Piper Pirate was an honor, and I will always remember it.