Anime enthusiasts consider creating club

Kai Parker

A group of anime fans in cosplay pose for pictures at Naka Kon.

Melanie Mnirajd, Design Editor

Do you like anime? Several students at Piper are hoping to start an anime club in the 2017-2018 school year.

Anime is a style of animation, or cartoons, created in Japan. Characters usually have large eyes and colorful hair. Genres range from romance to action to comedy to horror. Some well-known examples of anime are the Pokemon or Naruto series. Many fans like to cosplay, or dress up, as their favorite character. Today, millions of people all around the world watch anime.

“I just love the humor in some of them,” sophomore Kai Parker said. “A lot of the characters are easy to relate to.”

In the Anime Club, members would watch and discuss anime, draw manga and more. The club plans to meet after school, possibly on Wednesdays or Thursdays. The club hopes to make plans to go to conventions together, like Naka Kon.

Naka Kon is an annual convention that celebrates aspects of Japanese culture such as anime, music, food, fashion and gaming. They have cosplay contests, performances, panels, vendors, a maid cafe, a charity ball and more. At their last event, they had more than 10,000 attendees!

If you are interested in joining the Anime Club, please contact Parker at (913) 223-6338 or [email protected].

“Don’t be scared to join, because we don’t judge,” Parker said.

“[The Anime Club] should be a great success since a lot of people like anime,” junior Michael Brown said.

For those thinking about joining, Brown has some advice.

“Just do it!” Brown said, quoting actor Shia LaBeouf’s motivational speech.