The student news site of Piper High School in Kansas City, Kansas.

Legalization: A joint debate

June 13, 2017

The debate on whether or not marijuana should be legalized is often heated. America has heard the opinions of politicians; get ready for the opinions of the news staff.

A voice against legalization

When people think of those against legalization of marijuana, they conjure images of crusading soccer moms who have a haircut à la mid 2000s Kate Gosselin, or a government official who hasn’t even smelled it. That’s why when people hear that I’m against legalization, I’m greeted with a dubious look, sometimes accompanied with a “really, Jenna?”

I’m not against legalization of THC on the basis of my religion. I’m not against legalization of THC on the basis of personal experience or some sudden, overnight epiphany. I’m against the legalization of THC because I fear for the health of this generation and the next to come.

One of the most familiar substances for us is tobacco. I recall a vivid memory of seeing the lung of a lifetime smoker in a jar passed around my elementary school classroom. I abstained from touching it, as the black color of it was enough to deter me from ever picking up a cigarette. Many of the carcinogens present in tobacco smoke find themselves  present in the smoke from marijuana, and can cause inflammation and cell damage. This means that, even if you do not smoke tobacco products, you have a higher chance for lung cancer. Unlike those smoking cigarettes, marijuana users are more likely to hold their breath for longer periods of time, which exposes the lungs even more to tar.

As for our next generation, the thought that weed will be much more accessible is worrying. The ability to purchase legally will mean more accessibility, and the chances of a younger person coming into contact with it increases. Children, more prone to respiratory infections, will see the effects of being surrounded by marijuana smoke later on in their lives.

Sure, there have been “valiant” attempts by the government to combat the interest in weed. However, it’s not totally a cliche that the programs aren’t always the most effective in drug prevention in youth. Take D.A.R.E., for instance. Founded in the 80s as a part of the War on Drugs, it focused solely on educating upcoming generations on substance abuse. The problem is that D.A.R.E., as well as many anti-drug organizations, rely on “scare tactics.” Instead of finding out why you shouldn’t engage in the usage of substances, you get lectured by an adult whose statistics come from the year 2002. If you’re lucky, you get to see a “faces of cocaine” slideshow. Not the best way to reach out to our generation. In fact, the most prevalent reminder of the failure that was D.A.R.E is the thrifter girls you find online, the organization’s logo flared across the chest as a testament to what never was. Dare to resist drugs and violence? Sure, but scare tactics are the last thing that’s effective when dealing with adolescents. While the purpose is noble, the execution is laughable, causing one of the most well known drug prevention organizations in the country to be something brushed aside by the youth. In a way, it has fallen on ourselves to be informed.

So when it comes to the legalization of weed, I must refer to one of the most stolen signs from the sides of our roads: “Keep Kansas Clean.”