Graduate receives scholarship at Chiefs game

Sullivan+is+recognized+at+the+Chiefs+game+Aug.+11.+

Photo submitted

Sullivan is recognized at the Chiefs game Aug. 11.

Lauren Textor, Editor-In-Chief

The stands shake with claps, stomps and the roar of the crowd. It isn’t unusual for sports games to get so loud, but normally the noise generated is for the benefit of the teams playing. A member of last year’s graduating class was able to experience these cheers solely for her as she walked across the field of the Arrowhead Stadium Aug. 11.

Katie Sullivan was the 41st recipient of the Len Dawson scholarship, which serves to honor the former quarterback’s performance for the Chiefs. Sullivan was recognized before the Chiefs game against the San Francisco 49ers, although she was notified about the scholarship through the mail beforehand and was in contact with Community Outreach Assistant and Project Coordinator Tim McMaster.

“I was given a private tour through the stadium with Mr. Dawson, and then on the day of the game my family and I got sideline passes, and I was recognized on the field before the game started with Mr. Dawson and the owner of the Chiefs,” Sullivan said. “It was an incredible experience. We also got tickets for a box suite, which was super cool.”

Each year, principals in the area nominate one student from the senior class to apply for the scholarship. From there, paper applications are filled out and five finalists are chosen. Finalists interview with a committee of several community members at the Chiefs offices and one is selected to receive the scholarship.

“They said this year it came down to me and one other student, and they decided that I was the best choice,” Sullivan said. “Even though it is given by Len Dawson, it isn’t an athletic scholarship. I believe the application said they were looking for a well-rounded student that was involved in the community.”

Sullivan will attend Newman University to study pre-physical therapy in the fall and will be a member of the dance team.