Robotics prepares, sends care package to coach overseas

The team put together a package for coach Eric Mabie, who is currently serving in Kuwait

Photo submitted

Junior Jack Kempf and sophomore Timothy Douglas stuff the care package with goodies for Eric Mabie.

Lauren Textor, Editor-In-Chief

Since April 21, chemistry teacher and robotics coach Eric Mabie has been deployed with the National Guard. He left for Kuwait in June, where he is conducting analytical work for the military. Despite the physical distance between them, the robotics team worked to put together a care package for Mabie to remind him that he’s not nearly as far from their thoughts.

We actually started talking about it right after we found out he was going to be deployed,” 2015 graduate and robotics mentor Katie Comer said. “We wanted to brighten his day and let him know that we’re thinking of him and appreciate his service.”

Comer was on the robotics team throughout her own high school experience and has sent care packages before to soldiers as part of a collaboration with local Girl Scout troops.

“We thought about things we know Mr. Mabie likes and tried to send as many of them as we could, plus other fun things we could find,” Comer said. “Also, we reached out to his wife to see if she could tell us anything he wanted or needed.”

Teacher Stephan Brumbaugh is currently acting as head coach, although he has already been a mentor to the team for the past several years. Although Mabie is not working with the robotics team while overseas, he will continue coaching once he returns.

“I can’t speak for the team members, but for me moving into his shoes, it’s a lot,” Brumbaugh said. “My style is different than his, and I have a bit of a different take on team management. Knowing Mr. Mabie, he won’t be able to keep his hands out of it once build season arrives. But over the last several years he’s helped build a dedicated team of mentors and contacts. We work well together and will continue the work Mrs. (Becky) Knetter began and Mr. Mabie maintained. Once he returns, his team will be waiting for him.”

This care package is only the beginning, according to Brumbaugh.

“We plan on putting another one together within the next month or two in time for Christmas,” he said. “The one thing we don’t want to do is overload him with too many knickknacks. He has a limited amount of space, and it would be a lot to bring back with him. What we would like to do, however, is start collecting video messages. We can also begin collecting nonperishable snacks to send as well.”

Comer also has a message for other students interested in getting involved.

If you want to send something to a soldier, definitely do it,” she said. “It’s super rewarding. Just be sure to check exactly what can and can’t be sent before the box is packed and taped, or everything has to be done over.”

Students interested in contributing can contact Brumbaugh via email at [email protected].

• Mabie displays the items from the care package.

• “The group decided that we’d send snacks, games and things of that nature,” Stephan Brumbaugh said. “While out looking for things to include, Katie, Dan and Tommy stopped by the jerky outlet in the Legends and former student Colton Hagge, who works there, chipped in and helped select what we sent. We also included several card games, some of which were provided by teachers of Piper High School. We also included a large flash drive containing movies and TV shows that have aired since he left the country.”

• In addition to the items in the package, the robotics team sent cards to remind Mabie that he’s in their thoughts.