Twins plan to take different paths after high school

Megan Neal

One set of the twins in the class of 2017 are Josie and Jackson Jones, who will be attending different colleges.

Megan Neal, Print Editor

For some twins, throughout their whole life they are a package deal. Wherever one is, the other is as well. For one set of the senior twins in the class of 2017, this is all about to change.

Josie and Jackson Jones are planning to go different ways after high school. Jackson is planning to attend Kansas City Kansas Community College to play soccer, while Josie is going to the University of Kansas, majoring in music education.

When the two were deciding on what to do after high school, being with their twin wasn’t something they thought about. Both are going different places in life that they needed to take different paths to accomplish. Josie says this was inevitable and had to happen sometime.

“Being a twin is fun, it’s like you have an extra best friend at all times,” Josie said.

Josie said not being around Jackson all the time is going to be an extremely difficult change for her. Jackson won’t be around to make fun of her and Josie won’t be there to give him help on his schoolwork.

While most parents are only sending one child to college at a time, the Jones’ have to pay for both of them. Both twins agreed this was one of the bigger struggles as a result of the enormous expense.

“I think they just want us both to be successful, and however we need to do that is what they’re going to be happy with,” Josie said.

Josie and Jackson plan to stay close throughout college. With FaceTime and texting, Josie thinks it will be easy to stay in contact, but said she will definitely miss him.

“I try not to think about it because I know it’s going to be so different,” Josie said. “I see him all the time but now I’m not going to unless I go and visit him.”