kcpipernews.com

• September 17"Safe Place" in 116B every Thursday at 2:40 - 4:00 PM.

• September 17First Europe 2020 trip meeting will be held in the library next Tuesday, September 18 at 6:30 PM

• September 17PHS Booster Club needs help for the soccer game at the high school.

• September 17Seniors: nominate your classmates for Homecoming King and Queen by Friday 8 a.m.

Studying tips to survive finals

Finals+begins+Dec.+15+for+PHS+students.+
Finals begins Dec. 15 for PHS students.

Finals begins Dec. 15 for PHS students.

Finals begins Dec. 15 for PHS students.

Hannah Haworth, Co-Web Editor

The approach of Christmas, while festive and merry for many, also means the approach of finals. End of the year exams are stressful for multiple reasons, especially at Piper where every class has at least a final worth 10 percent, but a few tips and tricks can ease the pressure on studying this holiday season.

After surviving three years of winter finals, I have garnered some knowledge about how to attack the daunting task of ending with a good grade. Since finals start Friday, Dec. 15, students should be able to spend that entire week preparing for P2 and P4 exams through study guides, flashcards or YouTube videos. The trick is to discover which studying technique works best for your personal preference. For me, I enjoy watching YouTube videos explaining the concepts.

A critical part of studying is finding a relaxing and quiet place to focus, and create the space to be best suited for you by adding candles, playing classical music or decorating with pictures.

The best advice would be to study a little bit every day, but I realize how unrealistic that may be for busy people, including me. I usually study for a final for the two days prior to taking it, but since there is a weekend dividing the first finals from the rest of them, take advantage of the weekend and study for each final before too overwhelmed by the weekdays.

A large portion of intent studying is dedicated to organization and divided time slots to study specific classes. I like having a to-do list of work that needs to be done, so you feel more accomplished every time you mark something off. Set time limits on studying by setting an alarm for an hour, taking a short break and then moving onto another class study guide.

Another way to settle the stress is to check the final grade calculator to determine the ideal grade you need to end with an A or B. Google search “final grade calculator” and the first website will ask for your current grade in a class, the grade you want and how much the final is worth. This usually eases me so I know exactly what grade I need in my classes and determines how much I should study for that final.

These are only a few tips and tricks to survive tests, but with hard work and junk food, anyone can tame the intimidating week of finals.

About the Writer
Hannah Haworth, Co-Web Editor

Hannah Haworth is a senior at Piper High School and this is her second year on staff. She is Co-Web Editor for kcpipernews and is also involved in Dance Team, is a representative for Student Council and Diversity Club, is NHS treasurer and is a member of American Sign Language Club and Scholar’s Bowl.

Haworth recently discovered she has Alice in Wonderland syndrome and her favorite food is Cheeseburger Pie.