kcpipernews.com

• February 2Those planning on taking the ACT April 14 should sign up online no later than March 9

• February 2There will be a meeting for parents of students interested in enrolling in AP courses Feb. 14 at 6 p.m. in the auditorium

• February 2Parent-teacher conferences will be held from 3:30-7 p.m. Feb. 14 and from 12-4 p.m. and 4:45 - 7 p.m Feb. 15

• January 18The courtwarming dance will be Feb. 10 at 8 p.m.

Managers reflect on their hard work

Senior+manager+Emma+Golden+hands+out+water+battles+during+a+timeout+during+the+Topeka+Hayden+basketball+game.+
Senior manager Emma Golden hands out water battles during a timeout during the Topeka Hayden basketball game.

Esrom Griffin

Esrom Griffin

Kaleb Brown, Mass Media Student

Being a manager of a team takes more work than then the average fan sees on game day. Managers have many different jobs that range from getting water to helping clean up equipment after a practice. Senior Derrick Kariuki helps out with the boys’ basketball team. It is  his first year of being a manager.

“My favorite part is watching them run and seeing their reactions when they find out they have to,” Kariuki said.

Kariuki said he feels like he is a big part of the team because of his help during practice, and he also maintains many positive relationships with coaches and players. He said he thinks that he can impact the basketball program in a positive way. Kariuki said that being a manager for the boys’ team requires more focus than work. Kariuki helps with shooting drills, and he also helps with keeping statistics for the players.

Swimming is another sport that requires a hardworking manager. Senior Savannah Stimac is one of the students who fills this role. Stimac is in her third year as manager for the boys’ swim team.

“My favorite part of being a manager is helping out the new kids that have just started to swim,” Stimac said.

Stimac swims during the girls’ season in the spring. It’s common when teams have separate seasons, such as swim and soccer, that girls who play the sport help manage the boys’ team and vice versa.

Managers have a variety of jobs at swim practice that include setting up lane ropes, taking attendance and getting water for the swimmers. Stimac said that these jobs do not take a lot considering there are six boys’ swim managers. While Stimac is with the team for only a few hours a week, she said she feels like she can make a positive impact on the team in many ways.

One of the hardest sports to be a manager for is wrestling. Junior Sydney Zimmerman was willing to fill the role of this job. Zimmerman is in her first year of being a manager. Although there are four managers for the wrestling team, Zimmerman has many responsibilities while at practice, including cleaning the mats, weight checking each wrestler and getting water for the wrestlers.

“My favorite part is taking attendance,” Zimmerman said.

Zimmerman said that she maintains positive relationships with everyone on the wrestling team. She also believes that she can become a big part of the team with her hard work and encouragement.