kcpipernews.com

• February 2Those planning on taking the ACT April 14 should sign up online no later than March 9

• February 2There will be a meeting for parents of students interested in enrolling in AP courses Feb. 14 at 6 p.m. in the auditorium

• February 2Parent-teacher conferences will be held from 3:30-7 p.m. Feb. 14 and from 12-4 p.m. and 4:45 - 7 p.m Feb. 15

• January 18The courtwarming dance will be Feb. 10 at 8 p.m.

Minorities continue to be targeted in communities

Senior John Pride wears his Black Lives Matters shirt to bring attention to the issue.

Senior John Pride wears his Black Lives Matters shirt to bring attention to the issue. "A school is intended to be a learning environment, not a platform for racist threats and comments to be made," Pride said.

Isaia Wilcoxen

Isaia Wilcoxen

John Pride, Student

Not once in the 17 years of my life have I ever felt and endured the amount of disappointment, sadness or anger that I am experiencing today.  The words and actions of some of the student body have not only affected me but also an overwhelming amount of others. This situation goes far beyond the aspects of black and white students. It affects all minority races and religions, the LGBTQ+ community, females in a male-dominated society and countless others. All because it is an unfortunate reality that racism and discrimination of all kinds are more prevalent now than they have been in the past few years.

It is not fair for students to feel unwanted by their peers solely based on the color of their skin. For someone to have the audacity to say that they are willing to “Kill All N******”  is not something that the majority of students take lightly. Simply put, students are outraged by the comment. A school is intended to be a learning environment, not a platform for racist threats and comments to be made. In order for peace to be regained within the walls of this school, change needs to be made.

A change is a definite requirement for the forward movement that Piper so desperately needs and desires. My goal is not to change the minds of a few, but instead to change the hearts of hundreds. Through doing so we will be able to come together as one to minimize the threat racism and discrimination pose on our beloved school.

What myself and others are going through are nearly the exact same things our grandparents and great-grandparents endured and fought tirelessly to change for the future generations. What I have witnessed through my four years of high school are direct evidence of the extreme regression our society as a whole has gone through. Instead of moving forward we constantly fight an uphill battle that that has only fueled us more to come up with a solution.

The evil that has been deeply rooted in the morals of many must be dug up in order to plant new seeds of prosperity and equality for all. The new seed will be planted in the fertile ground that comes in the form of our youngest students––the ones who ultimately look up to those older than they are.

Whispers flow through the halls like wildfire at an unprecedented rate. Some say that we are blowing this ordeal out of proportion. Some say that it is not a big deal. Some simply say to get over it. Although no one has lost a life, is that what it will take for change to come? It should not need to go to the extent of an innocent human being to be slain like an animal for something to be done and for others to take action.

At the end of the day, all we want is to feel accepted. We want to feel as if we belong, not as if we are outcasts. We want to feel safe. We want to grow and make changes as one. We want to feel like human beings of value.

1 Comment

One Response to “Minorities continue to be targeted in communities”

1. Larry Killer on December 22nd, 2017 5:00 pm

While blame and accountability need to be directed to the student(s) responsible for the messages at the school. The root of responsibility and blame goes to the so called parents of these students. Our children learn from us so as adults their actions reflect directly back to us. Unfortunately in this facebook and internet society we live in, hate is all that is preached to our children.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Minorities continue to be targeted in communities

Movie Review

Reviewing ‘Justice League’

Opinion

Studying tips to survive finals

Opinion

Stigmatizing mental illness is harmful and unnecessary

Opinion

Hallways cause disruption for students

A&E

“A Christmas Prince” is predictable but enjoyable

Opinion

Homelessness during the holidays impacts families across America

Opinion

The profitable based education system that is now college

Opinion

National Anthem protests spark controversy

Opinion

Isley Ford

Opinion

Megan Neal

The student news site of Piper High School in Kansas City, Kansas.