Weighing the difference between free speech and slander

Drew Englis, Co-Business Manager

Hate speech and slander have permeated today’s society and more often than not the main proponents of such language claim that their rights protect them from legal action. Conflict that arises as a result of slander is difficult to handle due to the First Amendments vagueness. Within the U.S. there are no specific laws regarding hate speech and often court rulings often must be reexamined to ensure the U.S. Constitution is being upheld in the ruling on whether or not the words count as a violation.

“I draw the line when the person speaking is no longer speaking for equality,” sophomore Stephanie Kerst said.

Officials associated with the American Civil Liberties Union state that “Banning bigoted speech won’t end bigotry, even if it might chill some of the crudest expressions. The mindset that produced the speech lives on and may even reassert itself in more virulent forms.” The ACLU goes on to  explain that hate speech is not in and of itself the problem but symptomatic of a much bigger one. The larger problem being that everyone holds their own views and biases which tend to conflict with others.

“Hate speech may be wrong morally,” freshman Chase Lee said, “but could be the end of all free speech, because they will never be able to say what hate speech is exactly. Any speech that is even remotely restricted can lead to more of our amendments being taken.”