Gifted class gives unfair advantage to advanced students

Senior Emma Morgan works in the library.

Bailey Spencer

Bailey Spencer

Bailey Spencer

Hannah Haworth, Co-Web Editor

I am second in my class. Granted I am behind about four people tied for first, but I am still second, and I did this without ever being qualified for the advanced studies class.

The reason I am so frustrated with this class is not because the “advanced” students are smarter than me, but rather because they have more opportunities to fill out scholarships and have a mentor to lead their way. I am struggling to find viable scholarships, knowing how to fill out my FAFSA, when to apply for colleges and what I should be focusing on as my senior year comes to a close.

This is in no way attacking the wonderful teacher of the independent study or any of the students, which are all great and amazing people, I only believe it is unfair to give certain students this obvious advantage.

I may not have qualified to be in the “smart kid class”, but I have better grades than some of the kids, I am more involved than some of the kids and I am still at a disadvantage. Just because some students show early signs of having advanced intelligence in elementary school does not mean that those same kids will apply themselves in the class. I have pushed myself to take six AP classes, study to 3 a.m. and pass every class in high school with an A because I am willing to sacrifice free time for the sake of my education.

While the advanced studies class may have been useful in middle school, the equivalent now is a study hall, which is valuable time to any student and unfair to only give the advanced students, that were decided as such in middle school, such a helpful class.