Flags Fly at Annual PowderPuff Game

The+senior+PowderPuff+players%2C+referees+and+dancers+gather+for+a+photo+to+carry+on+a+tradition.+

Photo Submitted

The senior PowderPuff players, referees and dancers gather for a photo to carry on a tradition.

Kaleb Brown, Co-Web Editor

There is one time a year when the boys take a seat on the bench, and the girls take the field: the PowderPuff football game. This tradition of a game has been carried on for many years. The girls’ put on a show for the crowd as the seniors and freshman won 15-0.

“It was fun knowing that we won, but it was also sad because I know I will never play football in my life again,” senior Macey Nigh said.

The seniors and freshman were led by coach Tom Beebe. The seniors scored first to take an early 8-0 lead off a sweep to the left by senior Brianna Andrade. The sophomores and juniors were led by first year PowderPuff coach Kevin Brown. The sophomores and juniors could not respond after the initial touchdown by the seniors and freshman.

“I feel like a lot of people were nervous at first, so the first half was a little shaky,” junior Grace Banes said.

The sophomores and juniors had long drives down the field, but they could not capitalize.

“I think the team, including myself, could have been a little more aggressive,” Banes said.

The rest of the first half went by with no scoring and lots of flag-pulling. During halftime, there was a special dance performance done by the senior boys.

“The dance was fun and entertaining because we just made sure if nothing else, that we should have fun and enjoy ourselves,” senior Esrom Griffin said.

The boys were made up of senior football, soccer and basketball players. They rehearsed the dance many times and tried to get themselves prepared mentally and physically.

“It was a new experience for me and it was a little weird but the fun took over me and made me not think about it as much and just enjoy myself,” Griffin said.

After halftime had expired, the senior girls took the field for their final 20 minutes of play. Similar to the first half, there were lots of flags being pulled but not a lot of scoring. The sophomores and juniors strung together a series of plays to march down the field against the seniors and freshman, but they came up just short of scoring.

On their final drive, the seniors and freshman scored on a quarterback sweep to the left by Macey Nigh.

“I scored a touchdown and that’s always fun,” Nigh said.

As the game came to an end, both teams walked the 50 yard line and shook hands.