Pied Piper Pumpkin Patch provides Halloween activities for children

Scout Molder, Co Editor-in-Chief

The annual Pied Piper Pumpkin patch is taking place from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. Thurs., Oct. 24 in the high school gym. The event, which is a fundraiser for Harvesters, charges $1 for admission and 25 cents for each game ticket.

Student Council organizes the event, and other groups, such as National Honors Society, FCCLA, and the cheer team also help run it.

According to StuCo advisor Tiffany Scheffler, the event is meant to be a Halloween-themed community activity for younger children. It includes games such as ring toss, bean bag toss, mini golf, and temporary tattoos for children to enjoy and win candy.

Scheffler said that in recent years, the Pumpkin Patch has also coincided with Trunk or Treat, which now takes place in the south high school parking lot.

“The older kids trunk or treat for candy, and the games and stuff that we do [at the pumpkin patch] are for the younger kids,” she said.

Scheffler said the Pumpkin Patch is beneficial for both the kids and the high schoolers helping out.

“High school kids bring candy, so that’s sort of their donation to the cause, and then they get community service hours for being there,” she said. “The little kids get candy and another chance to wear their costume.”

Senior StuCo member Brianna Andrade, who has helped with the event in past years, said that the event is more than just community service hours to her.

“The one thing that I enjoy most about participating is that I get to have fun with my friends and it is an excuse to dress up in a costume and be a kid again,” she said.

Junior Brooke Robertson, who has also participated in the event before, agreed.

“I participate in the pumpkin patch because it is a lot of fun to see the joy on the kids faces when they get a sugar rush,” she said.

Andrade agreed.

“There are truly no negatives about working at the Pumpkin Patch,” she said. “In all, everything is fun knowing you’re making kids smile by handing out candy.”