kcpipernews.com

• November 14Class cup points will begin tonight at the musical. Check-in through the Pirate Nation app.

• November 8Order a lunch through the Nutrislice App and receive a free water bottle from Pirates Bay.

• November 8Winter strength and conditioning will begin Monday, November 12. Forms can be found in the office.

• November 8There will be a Veteran's Day meet and greet from 7:15 to 9:15 this Friday, November 9.

Hocus Pocus wows viewers 25 years after release date

Hocus Pocus served viewers a lot of iconic looks, none more so than those of the Sanderson sisters.

Picture courtesy of TV Guide

Picture courtesy of TV Guide

Lauren Textor, Co print editor-in-chief

There are so many elements that go into making a movie great. Dialogue, plot, lighting, sound, camera angles… Not every movie can be remembered as one for the ages, but the 1993 classic “Hocus Pocus” deserves to be immortalized for its dedication to theme and the creation of a brand that has lasted for almost three decades already.

One Halloween night in Salem, Massachusetts, Max (Omri Katz), a virgin trying to impress his date and younger sister, lights the cursed black flame candle in the historic house of the Sanderson Sisters, three reported witches who were killed in the witch trials in the 17th century. This summons three witches back from the dead who are bound only by blood and mutual frustration. In order to stay alive for more than one night, the sisters must suck the lives out of as many children as possible.

“Hocus Pocus” is a family movie, a Halloween staple, a fantasy and a comedy all at once, with light horror thrown in. While it’s not the only movie that has been able to juggle these genres successfully (“Halloweentown,” “The Corpse Bride” and “The Haunted Mansion” are just a few others), it distinguishes itself because it ages well. It’s possible to revisit this movie again and again and pick up on something new every time. There are a number of “adult” jokes sprinkled through as well so that older viewers can still be surprised by the dialogue and its twists.

Every single character in this movie is relatable enough to be prime meme material and the plot is greatly enhanced by the color that they bring. Winifred Sanderson spends the entire movie being annoyed by her sisters. Zombie Billy Butcherson, like any highschooler, just wants to go back to sleep. Even the busdriver is just trying to live his best life and get with Sarah Jessica Parker.

Most of the movie’s comedy draws from the dynamic between the sisters and the people that they interact with in their quest for immortality. Even minor characters have their personality established quickly and unforgettably through the sisters, and all of them are absolutely iconic. One example is the old man who the sisters mistake as Satan, who is ready to risk it all and lose his nagging wife just to hang out with them.

Another undeniable plus is that young Omri Katz’s Max Dennison was pretty cute. So really, it’s hard to make a bad decision in watching this movie. Whatever you’re into, “Hocus Pocus” has got you covered.

About the Writer
Lauren Textor, Editor-In-Chief

Lauren Textor is a senior at Piper High School and this is her fifth semester on staff as Co Editor-in-Chief. She participates in Key Club, Scholars Bowl, National Honors Society, Gay-Straight Alliance, Thirst Project, and Yellow Tulip Project. While Textor was in Chicago, she fell so hard she skinned her knee.