Class of 2018 scores above average on ACT

Graphic Design by Kaleb Brown

Graphic Design by Kaleb Brown

Graphic Design by Kaleb Brown

Kaleb Brown, Co-Web Editor

Most high school students dread taking the most life-changing test of their life, the ACT. According to ACT.org, the national test score average for 2018 is 20.9. Piper High School’s Class of 2018 surpassed this national average with a composite score of 24.1.

“I mean, that’s, that’s a record setting number that they threw out there. And I thinks it’s a testament to the hard work that’s happened throughout the district,” Principal John Nguyen said.

The ACT is a test that doesn’t come easy to just anyone. A lot of skill and preparation are highly recommended for test takers. Piper High School offers a semester long ACT Preparation class that students can enroll in. Besides the ACT Preparation class offered here at the high school, there are many online classes and tests offered for students planning on taking the test.

“I have had multiple students in the past come to me for help that have never taken ACT preparation,” ACT Prep teacher Katie Denault said.

Students from the Class of 2019 have one more opportunity in December 2018 in order to get the best score possible. Some students may seize this opportunity in order to better their score, but others might sit this one out.

“(It is a) very big accomplishment for for the students in the graduating class of 2018 and perhaps a goal for future graduating classes to achieve,” Superintendent Tim Conrad said.

If students properly prepare and seek opportunities that can help get an advantage on the ACT, they will be best suited for the test. The school will be offering a free ACT available to all juniors in February 2019.  

“The expectation is for our to composite to improve each year. Our goal is to continue to enhance our curriculum and student opportunities in order to see future composite scores of 25plus,” Conrad said.