Cheer snags first at State Competition

Hannah Pappert, Photo Editor

• Seniors Jada Simmons and Abigail Grimm high kick during their third prelim performance of the state cheer competition that they would later win Nov. 17.

• Sydney Rhodes gives a smile as she performs in finals for the state championship held at the Topeka Expo Center Nov. 17.

• Grimm waves and cheers for the judges before the Pirates begin their final performance of the day.

• Sophomore Alyson Droppleman plants after after a toe touch in the cheer team’s second performance of prelims in the state cheer competition in Topeka, Kansas.

• Junior Emma Turley performs during the team’s third prelim of the competition.

• Senior Emma Johnson warms up on the mats before their second prelim performance.

• Juniors Taylor Simms and Courtney Johnson sit and talk together before their first performance of the day to calm their nerves.

• After the team discovered they had some of their points deducted due to too many stunts in their third prelim performance, junior Sydney Rhodes and Johnson anxiously await the results of prelims, to see whether they will perform in finals.

• Osawatomie is revealed as the state cheer runner up, and leaves the Lady Pirates as the champions.

• Rhodes and sophomore Taylor Miles celebrate as the are the fifth school called to perform in finals Nov. 17.

• Juniors Courtney Johnson, Emma Vogel and Sydney Rhodes rush towards the trophy as the Pirates are announced as the 2018 Cheer State Champions Nov. 17.

• The team celebrates as champions after their four performances.