Permanent Expressions

English teacher, Christine Kohrs received her most recent tattoo of her father in Nov. 2017.

Trey Trumbo, Staff Writer

From tribal to meaningful portraits, people choose tattoos for fun, to reflect who they are or to be a walking piece of art.

The first recorded tattoos were in 1898 from a medical doctor in Egypt. Since the 1970s, tattoos have become a mainstream item around the world. While some people get tattoos to display artwork, others want to memorialize family members, special moments or ideals.

Junior Daley Beashore got her first tattoo of a cross with a semicolon last May.

“It represents when an author wants to end a sentence but chooses not to,” Beashore said. “The sentence is your story and the semicolon means it’s just a pause, not the end of the sentence to your story.”

Some students have or want multiple tattoos. Senior Keon Townsend currently has two. A cross is located on his bicep, while his mother’s name is written on his chest.

“A tattoo should have a meaning and be important to you,” Townsend said.

He got both of his tattoos in 2016.

“My tattoos represent the most important things to me, God and my mother,” said Townsend. “It’s hard for me to imagine living life without them with me wherever I go.”

It is uncertain exactly how much tattoos have grown in popularity from past generations. However, Pew Research Center engaged in a study where they found about 38 percent of people ages 18 to 25 have at least one tattoo.

“I would consider getting a tattoo, but I’m scared of the pain,” senior Macey Nigh said.

That is one of the most popular concerns with tattoos. However, the amount of pain varies based on the region where the tattoo is applied. Beashore and Townsend didn’t feel much pain when they got their body marks.

Teacher Christine Kohrs has a total of five tattoos. Her most recent is a tattoo of her father who passed in early 2017.

“I miss him so much, and I want him with me always,” Kohrs said.

The tattoo is located on her upper right shoulder blade. It took about four hours to complete. Kohrs describes the pain as being extremely high after about two and a half hours.

“I expected it to hurt, though, and it was worth it,” Kohrs said.