The rules of the road exist for a reason

It’s a Monday morning, and you’re running late for school. You hop in your car, hoping that driving 10 over the whole way will help you make it before the bell rings. Then, you see it: the neighborhood school bus, pulling up right where you need to drive. Every driver knows the feeling of pure annoyance that comes in moments like these. Buses drive slowly, they stop frequently, and there’s no getting around them without breaking the law. It’s like the bus driver knows you’re late and is determined to make sure it stays that way. It can be so frustrating, especially when you’re already frazzled from being late.

The reality is, however, that bus drivers could not care less about whether or not you’re late. They’re just trying to do their job and keep the students they are responsible for safe. Sure, it’s annoying, but that doesn’t change the fact that the traffic laws around buses are there for a reason: to keep kids safe.

The bottom line is that unless you’re prepared to go to jail for life for hitting a child with your car, just be patient. Don’t illegally pass a bus don’t drive like a jerk when you’re behind a bus, and don’t speed past children waiting at bus stops. Your schedule is much less important than the safety of innocent children. As many parents have said: driving is a privilege, not a right.

With that being said, most drivers can agree that there are some bus drivers who fail to be courteous to the vehicles around them. The school parking lot is a perfect example of this. Buses drive in the middle of the lane or on the wrong side of the road all together, pull out in front of people, park in student parking spaces and make very sharp turns without checking for cars around them. Additionally, they often exceed the 10 mile per hour parking lot speed limit. There have been many times when students have had to pull their car over completely in order to avoid being hit. Keep in mind, all of this is being done in front of fairly new drivers who barely know how to drive normally, let alone with a bus coming at them head on.

Obviously, buses are on a tight schedule just like everyone else, but that doesn’t mean they are allowed to be completely inconsiderate of those around them, especially when they are in a parking lot filled with hundreds of high school drivers. Remember: we’re kids, too.

The solution here is simple. Everyone, regardless of whether they are driving a bus or a normal car, needs to drive more safely. Being a defensive driver is one of the key things people are supposed to learn in driver’s ed, and yet many people fail to take pay attention to those around them as they drive. Driving is not something that anyone should take lightly, because when you drive unsafely you put both yourself and those around you at risk. At the end of the day, just be aware of the rules of the road and follow them like your life depends on it, because it does.