kcpipernews.com

• April 30Freshmen and sophomore, please check your school email and vote for your StuCo representatives for next year. Votes must be submitted by Friday.

• April 18Art Club will be meeting Monday, April 22 in the art room.

• April 18Attention NHS candidates, a Piper cleanup is being held April 27 through April 30. For more information, call 913-488-5478.

• April 18Seniors need to complete the Post-Graduation Plans form due by April 26.

Boys basketball defeats Parsons in first round of State

Senior Trey Bates goes through his free throw routine as sophomore brother Tamar Bates prepares for defense.

Kinley Brown

Kinley Brown

Kinley Brown

Kaleb Brown, Co-web editor

The Pirates were off to a slow start to begin the game Wednesday night against Parsons High School. The Pirates were unable to connect early and couldn’t finish when it counted.

Parsons jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead to open up the game. Senior Brandon Jackson picked up two fouls just minutes into the game. Missed opportunities and turnovers by the Pirates may have led them to be down for the most part of the first quarter. That didn’t stop senior guard Braijion Barnes from leading the Pirates.

“Defensive stops really kept us in the game through the first half since we were unable to hit our shots,” Barnes said. “As long as we followed Coach Grimes gameplan, we knew we would be alright.”

The Pirates were down through most of the first half, trading off the lead every few minutes with Parsons. The Pirates continued to get into foul trouble allowing Parsons to hit the free throws. At the midway point, Parsons took the lead, 22-20.

The Pirates came out of the locker room rolling at the beginning of the second half.

“It was an amazing game overall. It was extremely up and down and we weren’t hitting shots in the first half and that starts with me,” Shelley said. “But we came together in the second half and once we got a lead we ran with it.”

Sophomore Tamar Bates and senior Trey Bates gave the Pirates their biggest lead of the night with that being five points later in the third quarter. Trey gave the Pirates 14 points and Tamar added 13 points combining to have the Bates brothers scoring almost half of the Pirates’ total points.

As the third quarter expired and the fourth quarter began, the Pirates had the lead 39-37. The Pirates struggled all night with being in foul trouble across the board. The Pirates continued to trade buckets with Parsons throughout the quarter. Brandon Jackson fouled out with a little less than half of the final period remaining. Made free throws and smart play helped lift the Pirates to defeat Parsons, 55-52.

The Pirates won their first first round 4A state tournament game in many years, but they didn’t do it alone. With the cheering and support from fans and cheerleaders, everyone was loud and in full effect. The Pirates will play in the second round of the tournament Friday, March 8, against the number one seed Wichita Trinity. The Pirates have something to prove and they are not out yet.

“When we go into a game when it’s win or lose and you are not a senior, you have to look at them and tell yourself that you are willing to do whatever it takes to give those guys a ring,” Shelley said.

About the Writer
Kaleb Brown, Co-Web Editor

Kaleb Brown is a senior at Piper High School and this is his second semester on staff as Co-Web Editor. Brown plays football and goes by KB, Pablo or lilbrown.