kcpipernews.com

• March 6Spirit bus signups for State basketball will be Tuesday and Wednesday morning in the commons.

• February 28Powerlifting competes at 4A State Saturday at Basehor-Linwood.

• February 28Interested in becoming a PHS dance team member? Pick up a flier from the office or Coach Kohrs.

• February 28Prospective PHS volleyball players should plan on attending a meeting in the PHS commons area during seminar on Monday, March 4.

The shot heard around Kansas

Boys basketball defeats Wichita-Trinity in second round of State

Junior+Tyren+Shelley+awaiting+the+inbound+pass+from+a+Pirate+teammate.+

The shot heard around Kansas

Junior Tyren Shelley awaiting the inbound pass from a Pirate teammate.

Kinley Brown

Kinley Brown

Kinley Brown

Kaleb Brown, Co-web editor

Trey Bates dribbles down the floor, nine seconds left. Bates passes half court looking for an open teammate. He finds Tyren Shelley standing at the top of the key, Shelley catches the ball, turns and lets it fly.

The Pirates battled the number one seed Wichita-Trinity Knights Friday evening in the semi finals of the state tournament. Thanks to a clutch three-pointer from junior Tyren Shelley with three seconds left, the Pirates are now going on to compete in their first state championship game in program history.

“I was trailing on the play and I got the ball, and you know what they say, shooters shoot, and I just let it go knowing it would go in,” junior Tyren Shelley said.

The Pirates started out in early foul trouble once again picking up four early fouls and just one for Wichita. Despite struggling with foul trouble early on, the Pirates traded off the lead with the Knights from Wichita multiple times. As the first quarter came to a close, the Pirates were down, 16-15.

The second quarter saw less action than the previous. The Pirates came out strong at the start of the second quarter, connecting on their first basket to take the lead. Once the Pirates regained the lead, they controlled the game from there. As the second quarter expired, the Pirates had the lead, 27-23.

“Coach just let us know that we have to come out and play hard and follow our gameplan,” senior Trey Bates said. “We didn’t want to live with the fact that we lost to Trinity because we didn’t rebound and play defense.”

Once play resumed, the Pirates came out of the locker room with all the momentum. The Bates brothers had themselves another good night. The brothers combined for 31 points and eight assists. The win wouldn’t have been possible without the help of other teammates. Tyren Shelley gave the Pirates nine points and junior Gabe Eskina stepped up when the team needed him the most. Eskina hit free throws and gave the Pirates seven points.

As the third quarter came to a close, the Pirates trailed once again, 38-37. At this point in the game, it was a toss up as to who would come out on top. The Pirates started to light up the scoreboard hitting shot after shot. The largest lead of the game came from the Pirates a little less than halfway through the fourth period when they hit a shot to extend the lead to seven.

The Pirates struggled hitting their free throws when they mattered most. Wichita fought hard to bring the score back even, tying it at 54 with seconds left in the game from a three hit by Wichita point guard Caden Vanlangham. A timeout was called by Piper head coach Tou’re Grimes with nine seconds left. As the Pirates came out of their timeout, there was only one goal in mind, win. That’s exactly what they did as Shelley hit a deep game winning three-pointer as time expired.

The Pirates are set to face off against the number seven seed Augusta Orioles Saturday evening at 6:15 pm. The Pirates are looking to claim their first 4A state champion trophy in program history.

“That shot doesn’t matter if we don’t win the state championship, so let’s go win it,” Shelley said.

About the Writer
Kaleb Brown, Co-Web Editor

Kaleb Brown is a senior at Piper High School and this is his second semester on staff as Co-Web Editor. Brown plays football and goes by KB, Pablo or lilbrown.