Lady Pirates finish second, seniors end their careers

Doug Key

Blake Beashore, Staff Writer

The Lady Pirates basketball team finished their season with a 23-1 record and with a second place finish at the state tournament.

They finished with a 60-41 loss to Bishop Miege. With the end of the season comes the end of the seniors careers.

This season the Pirates had three seniors. Ryan Cobbins, Lakya Leslie, and Brianna Andrade. This group of seniors is one of the most successful classes. Sophomore year the team was State runner-up, junior year they were 3rd in the state, and this year they were State runner-up again.

These girls won 4 conference championships throughout their careers. Including a total 88-7 record.

This seasons team experienced a lot of success and was one game from winning it all.

“This years team was so special because we all had potential like no other team had. If you brought one of us off the bench, they’d do the job that the starter had. We all had our different skills and we used them together to defeat each team we played,” said senior Brianna Andrade.

With all the success these girls experience they also made many memories.

“My favorite part was being able to create and cherish memories with all the girls I’ve played basketball with over 4 years. Never a dull moment on Piper girls basketball team. I loved every minute of it,” said senior Ryan Cobbins.

These seniors were strong leaders for the team and have left the team with a good message.

“My advice for future players is to take every practice and game seriously because they all matter,” said senior Lakya Leslie.

These seniors weren’t only leaders for basketball but also for off the court.

“Do everything with your heart. Work hard and don’t fail to prepare for a moment you may never get back. Keep a smile on your face always and never take anything for granted because your worst is someone’s best. Appreciate everything,” said Cobbins.