kcpipernews.com

• April 18Art Club will be meeting Monday, April 22 in the art room.

• April 18Attention NHS candidates, a Piper cleanup is being held April 27 through April 30. For more information, call 913-488-5478.

• April 18Seniors need to complete the Post-Graduation Plans form due by April 26.

• April 18StuCo applications are due Friday. Make sure you have all your paperwork submitted to Mrs. Scheffler by 3:00 p.m.

Girls wrestling competes at state tournament in McPherson

Sophomore Sara Lake said that she would definitely encourage more girls to join wrestling.

Sophomore Sara Lake said that she would definitely encourage more girls to join wrestling. "Well, I’ve asked people before and most say [they do] other sports or they just won’t be good at it. I also kind of think it could be a scared thing, like wrestling people can sound scary. I would tell them it’s a learning process and that’s how I got here and it’s a mental thing to get over being scared."

Photo Submitted

Photo Submitted

Photo Submitted

Lauren Textor, Co Print Editor-in-Chief

Of the two girls on the wrestling team, both qualified for state, although senior Alyia Cantrell broke her collarbone in a match and was unable to compete.

Sophomore Sara Lake took second place for her weight class at the Feb. 9 tournament in McPherson. Lake said that she got to that point through “a lot of training and working hard in the wrestling room.”

Despite her disappointment over her injury, Cantrell said that she also worked hard and enjoyed the season.

“The whole season was fun,” she said. “I just loved to wrestle and go out on the mat and show what I could do.”

The team left at 4:45 a.m. for the tournament and didn’t return home until 11:30 at night, which was exhausting but worthwhile, according to senior Ally Henry.

“What was cool about it was that there was a lot of down time at the tournament, so we all got to know each other,” she said.

Lake said that while she and Alyia are the only girls on the team, she doesn’t mind.

“I would say it’s pretty normal to me,” Lake said. “I’ve gotten used to being one of the only girls with other sports I have done. And, yes, everyone is great. I have never felt uncomfortable about anything and I wasn’t left out of anything, they [the boys] always included me.”

About the Writer
Lauren Textor, Editor-In-Chief

Lauren Textor is a senior at Piper High School and this is her fifth semester on staff as Co Editor-in-Chief. She participates in Key Club, Scholars Bowl,...