Changing of the guard: Pair of state champion coaches set to leave the school

Charles Connor, Sports Editor

Following a historic 4A boys’ basketball state championship, head coach Toure Grimes is set to leave his post here at Piper and take over at Olathe East High School. Grimes has been teaching social studies at Piper for the past three years. He was an assistant for one year and head coach for two.

After winning a state championship in just his second year in charge, Grimes’s name was a hot one in the coaching carousel. Grimes was reportedly recruited by a number of schools from the Olathe and Shawnee Mission districts.

Grimes will be taking over for Olathe East legend Jim Super who stepped down after 27 years at the helm. Super had coached the Hawks since Olathe East’s conception in 1992.

Grimes announced his departure from Piper in a statement posted on the PiperBoysHoops Twitter account thanking his players, coaches and administrators.

Head cheer coach Megan O’Boyle will also be vacating her coaching position, as she is set to take on the same role for De Soto High School. O’Boyle is also leaving behind a state championship winning team, as the Pirates’ cheer team took 1st at state in November.

O’Boyle has been teaching Family and Consumer Sciences at Piper for six years, serving as head cheer coach for the past four.

Both Grimes and O’Boyle have solidified their place in the history books at Piper, and their success on the court will be remembered for years to come.