kcpipernews.com

• April 18Art Club will be meeting Monday, April 22 in the art room.

• April 18Attention NHS candidates, a Piper cleanup is being held April 27 through April 30. For more information, call 913-488-5478.

• April 18Seniors need to complete the Post-Graduation Plans form due by April 26.

• April 18StuCo applications are due Friday. Make sure you have all your paperwork submitted to Mrs. Scheffler by 3:00 p.m.

Changing of the guard: Pair of state champion coaches set to leave the school

Charles Connor, Sports Editor

Following a historic 4A boys’ basketball state championship, head coach Toure Grimes is set to leave his post here at Piper and take over at Olathe East High School. Grimes has been teaching social studies at Piper for the past three years. He was an assistant for one year and head coach for two.

After winning a state championship in just his second year in charge, Grimes’s name was a hot one in the coaching carousel. Grimes was reportedly recruited by a number of schools from the Olathe and Shawnee Mission districts.

Grimes will be taking over for Olathe East legend Jim Super who stepped down after 27 years at the helm. Super had coached the Hawks since Olathe East’s conception in 1992.

Grimes announced his departure from Piper in a statement posted on the PiperBoysHoops Twitter account thanking his players, coaches and administrators.

Head cheer coach Megan O’Boyle will also be vacating her coaching position, as she is set to take on the same role for De Soto High School. O’Boyle is also leaving behind a state championship winning team, as the Pirates’ cheer team took 1st at state in November.

O’Boyle has been teaching Family and Consumer Sciences at Piper for six years, serving as head cheer coach for the past four.

Both Grimes and O’Boyle have solidified their place in the history books at Piper, and their success on the court will be remembered for years to come.

About the Writer
Charles Connor, Sports Editor

Charles Connor is a senior at Piper High School and this is his second semester on staff as Sports Editor.