Girls swim works towards state

Senior+Savannah+Vazquez+swims+at+the+Lansing+varsity+meet+April+1.+

Girls swim works towards state

Senior Savannah Vazquez swims at the Lansing varsity meet April 1.

Gabe Cochran

Gabe Cochran

Gabe Cochran

Blake Beashore, Staff Writer

The Girls Swim team has had its share of success this far into the season. The team so far has qualified two relays for state. The season has also seen a number of state consideration times.

“The season so far is probably one of the best that we’ve had. I don’t know if it’s because of team moral and that we are so close knit, or if it truly is that we just have such amazing swimmers. You can just truly see that the swim team this year is one of the best that we’ve had,” said senior Taran Kerst, who is swimming in her third season.

As the season has gone on, the team has continued to improve and the team continues to work to be better.

“As far as team performance every single meet that we go to our times are dropping, people are working harder to beat their own times as well as to begin to place at meats. Everyone is working so hard at practice and it’s really starting to show in the meets,” said Kerst

With the significant improvement shown throughout the year the team has developed some expectations.

““As far as state goes I think that our team is just trying to qualify as many people in as many events as we can. Swimming state is extremely competitive but I also know that we have some very skilled swimmers that have a high chance of placing and going farther than we have in the past,” said Kerst.

Girls swim has had success at state in the past and hope to expand on that success this year.

“We expect to follow in the footsteps of the team in past years, but we want to go even farther,” said freshman Alexis Gerber.

Other than goals for the team, swimmers also have their own individual goals.

“My personal goals are to make my best times,” said junior Kaylin Miller.

Some swimmers personal goals go beyond their times.

“My personal goals would be to continue to drop times every single meet, make sure every swimmer feels like they matter on the team, and to make sure that the end of my season I’m proud of,” said Kerst.