Softball Falls Short of State

Softball Falls Short of State

Junior Grace Banes prepares for the pitch

Taylor Rice

Taylor Rice

Taylor Rice

Blake Beashore, Web Editor/Sports Editor

Softball competed for a trip to state in the Regional Championship on Monday, May 13. The regional took place at the Pirates’ home field. The regional semifinal game was against Labette County. The game ended as a seven to six victory for the Pirates on Hannah Pappert’s walk-off single.

In the regional final the Pirates went up against the Paola Panthers, a team that the Pirates had split the season series with, with one victory each.

“We’ve already played them twice and we’re pretty evenly matched,” said junior Lauren Pappert.

The Panthers went on to win the game 10-6 in a competitive game and are headed to the state tournament.

“With that team, we’re both good so it’s just whoever’s day it is. And unfortunately, yesterday, it was Paola’s day,” Pappert said.

Finishing the season short of where the team wanted to be many team members plan on making changes for the team to improve next year.

“Next year we are going to work harder at practices and play our hearts out to go farther,” said sophomore Kaitlyn Bradbury.

Senior Macy Nigh provided some advice for the future teams that she is leaving behind.

“In my opinion for the team to move forward and pick up more wins they are going to have to work together as a team and push each other to their limits! They will have to do things on there own and know what to do in certain situations,” Nigh said.

The Pirate’s finished the season with a 14-5 overall record and with a third-place finish in the conference.

“The new league was a huge change. the other teams were just overall better competition. We had to work a lot harder for success,” said Bradbury.

The stronger competition pushes the players to work harder and to improve their game.

“It brought us better competition as a whole, which prepared us for the postseason,” said Pappert.

As the team moves on to next season the team has high expectations.

“More than half of the varsity team has played together for almost ten years. Our chemistry has no comparison to any schools around us. There is so much talent and potential in each and every player, and I think we could go a long way if we maximized that talent,” said Pappert.