Principal, students contemplate Doordash deliveries to the school

Multiple Doordash and other meal deliveries sit waiting for students to pick them up first block Monday, Sept. 9. On average secretary Sarah Barnes reported five to twenty deliveries per day.

Photo Courtesy of Sarah Barnes

Photo Courtesy of Sarah Barnes

Photo Courtesy of Sarah Barnes

Audrey Menzies, Staff Writer

Doordash is a food delivery app that is intended to be delivered to houses, but can be delivered anywhere. Recently, Doordashing food to school has become common, with upwards of 20 deliveries being made each block.

“I don’t think that it’s a big deal,” said junior Payton Fergus.

However, administration disagrees, and have found several negatives to the app.

“Lunchtime is typically one of the busier times of the day in the office. Students are arriving at the school for various reasons, some students are leaving for appointments, parents come by for various reasons, the phone is ringing, etc. Having additional and unnecessary interruptions to the day-to-day activities of the front office are not helpful and can become rather frustrating.” said principal John Nguyen.

As of know, there are no policies about Doordashing, but students may see this change in the future.

“I think right now it’s on a trial basis, just to kinda see how it works. I don’t think a policy is out of the question,” said secretary Sarah Barnes. “I’m ok with it for the most part. It does get a little annoying constantly letting people in the doors but it doesn’t bother me a ton.”

One of the other concerns about Doordashing to school is safety, due to the amount of different people coming in and out of the building.

“The school probably has rules against Doordash because they don’t want random people coming into the school, which could honestly happen with or without doordash,” Fergus said.

Students who are rushed in the morning to pack a lunch or just want something different have seen the positives of Doordashing, however there are still flaws with the system.

“People can also try and steal your food,” said sophomore Olivia Santoyo. “You could also be sharing your food with a student who has a food allergy.”