Overgrowth Leads to Need for Change

Staff Editorial

Students sitting shoulder to shoulder, sharing textbooks and assignments. Some leave to go to another classroom to work due to a shortage of computers. Teachers rolling the entire contents of their desks down the halls to a different room each period. This is the reality of overcrowding in schools.

With over 600 students, we are bursting at the seams. In past years, class sizes were typically never over 25 students. However this year, it isn’t uncommon to share a class with 30 others.

Having so many students in a class makes it nearly impossible to get the same amount of individual help you would be able to in a class of 20. Chances are, if you need help so do 15 other classmates. And since there is only one teacher, it takes much longer to get the attention some students need. This can also let students fall behind much easier than they would in a small class.

Class sizes are not the only issue we have run into this year. Students who drive have run into the main road people take on their way to school being backed up for miles. What would be a five minute drive to school has now turned into 15 to 20. Finding a parking spot can even be a challenge. Having to drive around the lot two or three times just to find a spot can be frustrating.

While we did pass a bond issue to build a new school, the timeline is simply too long. We need a solution now. If we sped up the timeline and allowed the new building to become a high school immediately, our overcrowding issues would be solved.

A short term solution may be adding on to the current high school with another level or wing. However at the rate we are growing, this may only last a few years. 

The easiest solution would be allowing seniors to come and leave school an hour early during first semester. During second semester, seniors could only come to classes needed to graduate. This would alleviate the amount of students coming into school and backing up Hutton Road in the morning. Also, class sizes would drop immediately without seniors taking random classes just to fill up their schedule.

Yes, growth is good for our schools and community. It brings more opportunities and diversity, but does not solve the fact that we are overcrowded. Students are unable to get their best education possible in these conditions. Whether the solution be expanding the current school, speeding up the new buildings timeline or modifying schedules, something needs to be done soon.