Cheer, volleyball undergo changes in coaching style

Coach%2C+Rachel+Ferguson%2C+introduces+a+new+passing+drill+at+practice+Wednesday%2C+Sept.+25.+This+is+Ferguson%E2%80%99s+first+year+coaching+at+Piper.+

Lauren Pappert

Coach, Rachel Ferguson, introduces a new passing drill at practice Wednesday, Sept. 25. This is Ferguson’s first year coaching at Piper.

Zoey Pudenz, Staff Writer

This year has brought big changes for the cheer and volleyball teams with both making adjustments to their new coaching staff.

Cheer coach Morgan Kolenda, has coached at the collegiate level and was previously the head coach for the Bonner Springs High School team.

“I like that she’s a hands-on coach, so if something is not working she’ll literally get in the stunt,” said junior Taylor Sims.

Coming off of a state championship and a sixth place finish at Nationals in Dallas, the team has high expectations for this year with Kolenda.

“I think the way to keep that success is not to think of our team last year, but of our team this year,” Sims said. “When we set our goals for this year, we did not just go off what we did last year with going to Nationals, but just exceeding and trying to do better at Nationals.”

The volleyball team has not only a new head coach, but a whole new coaching staff. With the team coming off of a four and 32 season, head coach Rachel Ferguson, who replaced Cindy Swatek, created an entirely new offense and defense strategy, that she hopes will improve their record.

“I’m really pleased with the girls and how hard they’re working,” Ferguson said.“They want to be successful, and whatever I can do, I will.”

Ferguson has been coaching on and off for 19 years. She coached while living in Colorado and took breaks while her children were in school.

“I love coaching volleyball because I love watching the girls that haven’t learned fundamental skills, and just watching them improve and the success they have,” Ferguson said.