Students call for increased environmental awareness

Volunteer workers do all they can to clean up what is left of the normal waters.

"CZM_COASTSWEEP_data_compilation_AFM" by Massachusetts Office of Coastal Zone Management is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

Tori LaRocca, Journalism Student

Earth is struggling to live due to world wide pollution. It’s affecting and changing people not expected. 

“I think people don’t realize how much pollution and plastic waste is affecting our oceans and everything. You could lose the best thing about Earth right now,” said sophomore Julie Jones.

There is an estimated 5.25 trillion pieces of trash in the ocean and counting. This can range from visible trash to chemicals that can’t be seen or smelled, according to “Ocean Trash” published in nationalgeographic.org.

“I mean, the Earth is dying. What comes to mind? Not a lot has been done about it by the international governments and that’s problematic,” said senior Miles Lockridge.

According to The United Nations through “Pollution” on nationalgeographic.org, about 4,000 kids around the world die from drinking dirty water daily. 

“I think there’s a mixture because there’s a group of people who really care and people who really don’t,.” said Jones said. “I don’t really think our government is really paying attention to it.”

I think people don’t realize how much pollution and plastic waste is affecting our oceans and everything. You could lose the best thing about Earth right now,.”

— Julie Jones

Jones believes that there should be changes by the government.

“I think people don’t realize how much pollution and plastic waste is affecting our oceans and everything. You could lose the best thing about Earth right now,.” said Jones.

Chemistry teacher Kalli Travlos believes that people are taking advantage of plastic use in the US.

“…I think it’s working in smaller countries but not the US because this idea that it’s our right to use plastic…” said Travlos.

According to Travlos, she believes that both sides of political pollution opinions are right to her. She sees good in the way the government is trying to fix it, but also doesn’t agree with some ways.

“My thought is both sides are correct. Because back to my environmental conveniences, we’ve only been measuring weather for how many years? And not the expanse of the entire existence of the earth, so we see fluctuations in temperature and everything,” said Travlos. “We haven’t been measuring it that long so there’s this experience watching it over time. Right? But then we are having a lot more pollution.”