The overlooked epidemic of student ADHD

The overlooked epidemic of student ADHD

Adderall is one of the medications prescribed to people with ADHD

"Drug Pills" by danielfoster437 is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

Zoey Pudenz, Staff Writer

At five years old, sophomore Reagan Montgomery was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). At the time, she did not realize that she would have to take medication in order to be able to complete everyday tasks and to focus.  

“I was very young. I remember thinking I have no clue what this is,” Montgomery said. 

In most cases, parents take their children to get tested for ADHD because of behavioral and attention issues according to WebMD. The average age for a child to be diagnosed with ADHD is seven years old. 

On the other hand, some individuals are not diagnosed with ADHD until they are in their teenage years. One of those individuals being sophomore, Grace Roland. 

“I think it’s pretty easy to live without ADHD because you don’t have to worry about if you took your medicine before you leave for school,” Grace Roland said. “It’s like people without glasses, they don’t really have to worry about having to see just like they don’t have to worry about having to focus.” 

The most common ADHD medications include Methylphenidate, Vyvanse, and Adderall.

“I used to take Methylphenidate and Adderall,” said senior Jack Roland. “It’s like actually meth.”

The new upcoming debate over ADHD medications are if they are truly beneficial, or harmful to those prescribed with them. 

ADHD medications come with many side effects that can be difficult to cope with throughout the day. Some of those side effects include sleep problems, decreased appetite, dizziness and rebound once the medication wears off.

You get so aggravated that once you explode, or something sets you off there is no comeback.”

— Jack Roland

“You get so aggravated that once you explode, or something sets you off there is no comeback,” Jack Roland said. “You’re mad for the entire day.” 

Montgomery agrees that she has also been affected by ADHD medications. 

“Sometimes I’m not hungry,” Montgomery said. “I’ve spent 12-13 hours sitting in the same position because I didn’t know what I was doing…the passage of time just went away.”

6.4 million children, ages 4-17 live with ADHD, according to the ADD Resource Center. 

“Treat us like normal people, just because our brain doesn’t function the same way yours does doesn’t mean we’re any less intelligent,” Montgomery said. “Just because we fidget and tap our feet doesn’t mean we’re less capable as human beings than people without it.”