Pirates Football advance after playoff victory

Freshman+Logan+Ladish+throws+to+an+open+receiver+for+a+first+down+in+the+second+quarter.+

Freshman Logan Ladish throws to an open receiver for a first down in the second quarter.

Lauren Pappert

Lauren Pappert

Lauren Pappert

Tyren Shelley, Staff Writer

The Piper Pirates outlasted the Basehor Bobcats 56-47 this past Friday night. That’s a total of 103 points between the two teams. 

There was 35 points put up just in the first quarter. It was a high scoring affair the entire game.

Junior LaJames White put up an impressive 270 All Purpose Yards against Basehor. “We wanted to run down their throats and we did just that,” White said.

Piper was down at half 30-18 and was looking for answers to get over the hump. To start the second half Piper went to an I-Formation with 3 running backs. Junior Brandan Martin, the leading tackler on defense, was in on offense leading the way for White and junior Anthony Ferguson to run the ball. The Pirates put up 38 points in the second half.

Early in the 4th Quarter the Pirates were down  one. Coach Pollard sent his kicking team on the field. Senior Miles Lockridge drilled the 34 yarder and put the Pirates up.

Piper also forced an interception.

The Pirates kept getting first downs and kept the clock running. All League 1st Team Tight End, senior Jack Robinson hauled in the first down catch when the Pirates were facing a 2nd and 14.

“I’m proud of my teammates drive and focus to finish strong and the communities support behind us. That all played a role in our win,” Robinson said. 

Ferguson ended the drive with a touchdown and the Pirates defense held off the Bobcats to win 56-47.

With the win, Piper (4-5) heads to Paola (9-0) to take on the Panthers on Friday, Nov. 8th.