The growing pressures of a high school student

Junior Landon Evans completes homework in Algebra 2 class.

Miles Lockridge, Staff Writer

Being a 21st-century student can be difficult. With academics, extracurriculars, the future, parents, and even your social life, stress can overwhelm. A stressor is defined as something that causes a state of strain or tension according to the Oxford Dictionary. 

“I feel pressured to have good grades because I have high expectations for myself and it makes me feel good to have good grades,” said sophomore Lexi Gerber.

Students feel pressure from many sources and at some points. As the pile increases, so does the level of stress.

“I feel the most pressure from myself. I’m a workhorse. I may not be the kindest to myself with certain outcomes. I feel pressure to uphold a certain image in the school. I am student body co-president and I feel as though I cannot have a bad day. I feel watched constantly,” said senior Jamike Unoke.

For some students, pressure can bring out the best in them.

“The pressure drives me. It’s the thought of knowing that if I don’t get something done if it doesn’t come out looking the way I envisioned, it will turn into a more harsh critique from myself. I also think that same drive kicks into gear in other facets of my life,” Unoke said.

High school is not a new idea or fad, but it seems that students are feeling more overwhelmed than ever.

“For me I feel it was similar for a lot of students, keeping good grades, sports and pressure from my parents to be a good kid. I was yearbook editor and student body president so there were always people to answer to,” said English teacher Tiffany Scheffler.

According to Purdue University at Fort Wayne, stress is an everyday part of life and it can help us grow and achieve more than we originally thought.

“My perception is that high school kids have always been stressed, I think they have become increasingly worse at handling it. I don’t know why that is. If it’s just that they want to give the impression to the world that they’re so stressed. But something about managing emotions, managing stress, time management, emotional health. I think these skills are maybe becoming weaker than 15 years ago. I don’t think that the pressures are changing, I think the skills for handling everything may be lacking,” Scheffler said.