Trends fade into the new decade

Photo courtesy of Material Handling and Logistics

Zoey Pudenz, Staff Writer

Just like years, trends come and go. From Tik Tok to low-rise jeans, many trends rose and fell throughout the decade.

A few of these trends deserve a spot in 2020, while others should be left in the past. 

“I would like to see VSCO girls stay in 2019,” said freshman Riley Merrick. “People always make fun of them because they’re stereotypical and basic.” 

The “VSCO girl” trend arose after popularity on the app Tik Tok. Sophomore Olivia Blankenship agrees with Merrick to put an end to the VSCO girl trend. 

“I think they are just outdated and not cool,” Blankenship said. “Even though I don’t like the VSCO girl trend, I would really like to see scrunchies and mom jeans come to 2020. Any clothes that are kind of more grunge and 80s hipster just because they’re really cute, and can kind of match anyone’s style with accessories.” 

Along with fashion trends, there were many different music trends including jumps in EDM and rap. Throughout the decade, rap and hip-hop took off to become one of the most popular genres of the 2010s. 

“I think rap and hip hop took off this past decade because our generation grew up with it,” said sophomore Jai Moore. “I am not necessarily into songs that talk about drugs just because I don’t do drugs, but I am into the ones I can relate to.”

According to udiscovermusic.com, music transformed the 2010s into a new hierarchy of genres. 

“I liked Rihanna when she used to come out with music,” said freshman Jillian Collier. “I wish she would come out with more in this decade. 

Popular songs such as “Watch Me” and ‘Teach Me How to Dougie” brought new dance trends including the Whip, Nae Nae, Dougie, Dab and Milly Rock. 

“I liked all of the dance trends until they got old,” Merrick said. “I would always hear them overplayed at dance competitions, but I am excited to see which new ones go viral in this decade.”

According to forbes.com, technology will be one of the biggest trends in 2020. Environmental and ecological trends are shifting into 2020 as well. 

“I hope that the trends in 2020 will be based on actual reasoning,” Collier said. “Something with a good purpose like the ice bucket challenge. I feel like that was a really good trend because it truly had a meaning behind it with donations for research on ALS.”