Breaking records and tides

Sophomore+Jake+Huisman+swims+at+a+meet+during+his+freshman+year.+

Allison Neal

Sophomore Jake Huisman swims at a meet during his freshman year.

Zoey Pudenz, Staff Writer

There is a “young Michael Phelps” splashing in the midst of Piper High School. This “young Michael Phelps” being sophomore Jake Huisman who broke six records his freshman year. 

Huisman has broken records in the 200 Free, 200 Individual Medley (IM), 50 Free, 100 Free, 500 Free and the 100 Butterfly. So far this season, Huisman has already broken eight records, one of which being his own. 

“When I broke my first record I was very shocked and excited,” Huisman said. “One of my goals for this year is to try to make it to state because my relay team last year was about a hundredth of a second off.”

Huisman started swimming at the age of ten after he watched his younger sister at swim meets and decided he might as well do it with her. Huisman also pertained a scuba diving license at the age of 11.

“When I was younger I took a six-week course with my dad at the ‘Dive Shop’,” Huisman said. “I don’t think having a scuba diving license has improved my swimming. I think it is just my genetics.”

Not only is Huisman on the swim team, but he is also on the boys’ basketball team. 

“Right after school I leave to go swimming practice at ‘Kansas City Christian,’” Huisman said. “Then, I’ll leave about 30 minutes early to go to basketball.” 

Being a dual-sport athlete, Huisman will often miss practices because of games or meets.

“He’s very talented and it’s impressive how good he is because he doesn’t have as much time to spend on just swimming since we have to share him with basketball,” said boys’ swim coach and math teacher Dylan Beckford. “It’ll be interesting to see what he does in the next couple of years.” 

Up to this point, the swim team has competed in four meets. At the Turner meet the team placed third out of 10 teams. 

“I’d like us to get a few state consideration times,” Beckford said. “As long as the boys keep improving and making personal records then I’m happy.”

Newcomer senior Drake Devine joined the team because Huisman convinced him. Since starting the team, Devine has enjoyed being around his teammates as well as trying a new experience. 

“I wish I would have done it earlier for sure, but at the same time, I have learned a lot and the coaches have been really supportive,” Devine said. “It stinks that it’s my last year but I’ve learned a lot, so I’ll take that with me.”