Tik Tok creators speculate Civil War following election

Photo courtesy of Getty Images, Market Watch

Celebrations erupt Saturday, Nov. 7, following the announcement of president-elect Joe Biden.

Audrey Menzies, Design Editor

Prior to the election many rumors of a so-called “civil war” began on TikTok, an app used to create short videos. These rumors were based on the responses to the predicted election results.

Before the results, junior Amara Williams described her fear around the election. 

“I think there will be some controversy either way with how intense this year has been especially with fighting for equality and sort of rivalry between the two political parties,” Williams said. “It’s honestly very sad to see the chaos it’s brought.” 

This rumor did not pick up any speed but many stressed about this idea. 

“When I saw this rumor on Tik Tok I hated it,” said junior Grace Roland. “The idea of a ‘civil war’ breaking out because of this election is awful. We are already divided as a nation because of our current government status and if the civil war came true I can only imagine how much it would break our nation. I pray to God that it never comes true.”

Social sciences teacher Kevin Coker believes that the pandemic may be to blame for this rumor. 

“Being at home during COVID, you’ve probably been inundated with more information concerning the election and political ideas than probably any other time in human history,” Coker said. “I think a civil war is far fetched. I mean, how many times have we seen things that have been hyped up on social media that never come to fruition. Remember when we were going to when we were supposed to go into Area 51 and that never happened.” 

On Saturday, Nov. 8, 2020, Joe Biden was elected as the 46th President of the United States. Instead of a “civil war,” hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets to celebrate. 

“I think people were celebrating because for a long time some people felt like there wasn’t any hope of change,” Williams said. “Especially people of color and the LQBTQ+ community. They all want to feel safe and equal. The fact that we now have a woman as Vice President who is a woman of color is also something to celebrate because history has just been made and it’s showing girls especially girls who look like me and other races that we have a chance and that we can make this possible. I think we just all are hopeful and optimistic for the future.”

According to freshman Hynna Matthews, she was glad to see those who opposed the election results not turn to violence.

“I just believe people were very joyful following the election results,” said freshman Hynna Matthews. “Even though some people disagreed with who won the election they did not respond with violence or anger which I respect.”

If President Donald Trump would have been reinstated for another term, junior Gavin Church believes the responses to the results would have looked different. 

“I think it didn’t work out because people don’t want war and it was a joke the whole time,” Church said. “That being said, I do think there would be riots but not a civil war if Trump had won. I’ve seen a lot of immaturity on social media towards people who voted for Trump. People have been posting things and bragging about winning like it’s a football game which in my opinion is childish. I’ve seen a few Trump supporters blame it on fraud but for the most part, I think I’ve seen positive and hopeful comments towards Joe Biden. I think there wasn’t anything crazy because at the end of the day there’s going to be another election in four years.”