Teachers, Administration persevere despite virtual challenges

Photo by Asher Malaschak

Social sciences teacher Matthew Reitemeier speaks to afternoon cohort class while maintaining social distancing.

Blake Beashore, Editor-in-Chief

As students continue to struggle with the transition to online learning, an understated struggle is being taken on by teachers and administrators. As students, saying this school year has been tough is an understatement, but teachers and administration are facing very similar issues. 

Educators are trying to navigate the same treacherous educational climate that students are, tasked with the responsibility of learning new technology, adjusting class schedules and plan periods, as well as trying to teach to a blank computer screen as students rarely turn their cameras on when in-class. Not only do teachers not get to see their students in-class, but without in-person learning, it is hard to connect with students and build relationships to help them along the way in their education, especially in a time where students require guidance the most.

Teachers are also dealing with grading issues. With all assignments being online submissions, the chances of computer and user error are much higher, leaving teachers and students lost in some situations with assignments not transferring correctly. At some points, Canvas doesn’t always correctly synchronize with Skyward and causes confusion among parents, teachers, and students as grades sometimes don’t appear to be correct in the grade book.

With administration taking necessary steps to try and alleviate some of the stress that many students are feeling by extending the period that assignments could be turned in, it added an influx of assignments for teachers to grade all at once. This creates additional stress for teachers that is already increased due to online learning.

Administration and teachers aren’t only facing the struggles of online learning, they are also having to deal with parents and guardian’s constant complaints online. Administration finds themselves in a position in which no matter what decisions they make, a negative response will follow. 

As the year goes on, administrators and teachers are going to continue to face tough challenges and decisions about the future, and the community should respect the decisions made and share opinions respectfully and tactfully. Negativity does nothing but hurt the morale of educators who are already struggling because they don’t get to experience the favorite part of their jobs, relationships with their students.