Masks: The New Norm

Student+April+Gildo+wears+one+of+her+many+masks+which+have+become+a+vital+accessory.++

Photo by Jackie Gildo

Student April Gildo wears one of her many masks which have become a vital accessory.

Jackie Gildo, Staff Writer

Whether we like them or not, masks are now an integral part of our everyday lives. Wyandotte County and surrounding counties have implemented a mask mandate which requires people to wear a facemask in public areas. 

Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, masks have been with us. People are getting used to wearing a mask as some don’t even notice it. 

“Wearing masks out in public doesn’t bother me,” said sophomore Grace Hansen. “It’s pretty normal at this point and I don’t even really think about it anymore.”

At the beginning of the pandemic, there were doubts on whether masks were effective or not. 

“My initial thoughts on them being required were that it was a little odd and different than normal,” Hansen said. 

There are still ongoing debates on whether masks are an effective way to prevent the virus. Some people believe that masks are pointless and ineffective while others believe the masks help prevent the spread of COVID. 

“I think if used properly some type of tested masks work as long as you wear them the correct way, said sophomore Zack Knetter. “It doesn’t make any sense to walk around with a functioning mask and not use it the right way. It serves no purpose even if you have it pulled down below your nose. I would rather stay healthy and continue living my normal life so I don’t question the process.”

According to BBC news, the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine is 95% effective. On Dec. 2, the U.K. became the first country to approve the COVID-19 vaccine for use. 

“I do believe masks will be worn after the vaccine comes out due to fear,” said sophomore Quentin Enrique. “I believe that not everyone will get vaccinated and that many will be fearful until they know it’s 100% safe to stop wearing masks.”