Expired Netflix contracts strips fan-favorite shows

Photo courtesy of Silive

According to statista, Netflix was the highest streamed streaming service in 2019.

Jackie Gildo, Staff Writer

Netflix is one of the most popular video streaming services. Recently, the company has received backlash for taking off some fan-favorite shows.

“My thoughts about shows leaving Netflix is I was kind of upset because I enjoyed watching some shows and movies that they took off,” said sophomore Alexis Eskina. “Some of them are only available on Netflix.”

Many well-liked shows that are leaving Netflix have left fans disappointed, but some find another way. A couple of the most popular movies or shows that were left in 2020 include “Back to the Future I-III”, “The Office”, “ The Notebook”, “Gossip Girl”, “Poltergeist” and more.

“The show I was most sad about leaving is Gossip Girl,” Eskina said. “It’s been on there so long, and I was sad when I heard they were taking it off. But, it is on other streaming platforms, so I guess it’s okay.”

Netflix includes content that isn’t owned by them, so the content is held by contracts from the production companies. Once they expire, Netflix has the choice to renew the contract, or to take the show or movie off their platform.

“My first thought was that I should hurry up and watch it all as soon as possible because I knew I would miss it when it was gone,” said sophomore Avary Ward

Some people have even thought about switching streaming services for their favorite show.

My first thought was that I should hurry up and watch it all as soon as possible because I knew I would miss it when it was gone

— Avery Ward

“I’ve had Hulu for a while but I’m just now using it because there’s nothing good left on Netflix,” said sophomore Emma Holladay.

One of Netflix’s top hits, “The Office” was one of the biggest disappointments. It was the highest streamed show in 2020 with over 57 billion streams.

Now, seasons one and two can be streamed on “Peacock.” However, for all nine seasons,  a subscription is required.

“The Office is my favorite show ever,” Holladay said. “I find so much comfort in it and I’m sad I can’t watch it on Netflix anymore.”