COVID-19: A year in recap

Photo courtesy of Amanda Bauman

In late May of 2020, staff bagged all of students’ belongings for pick up.

Jackie Gildo, Staff Writer

It has been a little over a year since the Coronavirus has been officially a world-wide pandemic. Ever since then, the world has experienced a switch in lifestyle.

“At the beginning, everyone was lifting everyone else up and we were raising all of this money to help others,” said math teacher, Ashley Kowalewski. “But now, I feel like people are tired of the restrictions and sometimes forget that this pandemic affects all of us in very different and personal ways and we need to be more respectful of that rather than just saying ‘I don’t care, I am over it.’ That’s really sad to me.”

An extended spring break was announced on Mar. 13, 2020. Later on, this “break” turned into months, and now a year.

“I felt like it would be around for a few months but I never expected everything to shut down the way it did,” said sophomore Grace Hanson. “I thought it would just be a two week break from school.”

After the initial time off of school in the start of the pandemic, school became learning from a remote location. Remote learning became the new normal for students, high school, college, graduate alike.

“Remote learning in the beginning was nerve racking. I think that was true for teachers and students because none of us knew what it was really going to look like,” Kowalewski said.

The sudden change brought about many different experiences for most.

Remote learning in the beginning was nerve racking. I think that was true for teachers and students because none of us knew what it was really going to look like”

— Ashely Kowalewski

“I think my life would’ve changed with or without COVID, but not by a lot,” said sophomore Parker Limke. “COVID did take a lot of things away that I can’t get back but it has also given me more chances at things.”

The pandemic has changed and evolved since the start but it has been a learning experience for most students.

“I think the pandemic has changed a lot,” Hanson said. “We can’t do things like go to concerts or big events any more and we wear masks now. I think it made us all realize not to take that kind of thing for granted.”