Senior Night Brings Victory for Pirates against the Braves

Senior+quarterback+Blake+Porter+runs+the+ball+against+the+Tonganoxie+Chieftains+on+Oct.+1.+

Astin Ramos

Senior quarterback Blake Porter runs the ball against the Tonganoxie Chieftains on Oct. 1.

Zoey Pudenz, Co Editor-In-Chief

Following a hard loss against 7-1 Spring Hill Broncos with a score of 27-32, the Pirates Football Team was eager to get back on the field and take a win. The Pirates defeated the Bonner Braves with a score of 41-21 on Oct. 22.

“Before the game I was not too nervous,” said senior and quarterback Blake Porter. “I set goals for myself to achieve each game and this one was to pass for 300 yards.”

The Pirates offense started out strong with touchdowns from senior Divante Herrig-Brittain and junior Colin Vigil.

“Well, before each game me and my father talk and go over my assignments, alignments, and all my responsibilities,” Vigil said. “After that I get a quick prayer and listen to some music and prepare myself.”

Vigil secured a touchdown after a difficult struggle with the ball when the Braves defense attempted to knock it out of Vigil’s grasp. 

“At first I was thinking, ‘well I’m open enough to catch and get some yards,’ then the defender hit the ball out of my hands and I kept tipping it and tipping it,” Vigil said. “I thought if I dropped this ball my dad would not let me live this down so I couldn’t let this ball drop.” 

In the second quarter, the Braves offense took time off the clock by running down the field and scoring. Vigil ran for another touchdown, leaving the score at halftime as 21-7.

Senior wide receiver and safety Ethan Walker has been a big asset to the team this year. Against the Braves, Walker had five receiving receptions and 123 yards.

Our team is so dynamic and we have so many athletes that teams just can’t key in on one of our players in order to beat us”

— Ethan Walker

“Me and Blake have a great connection on the field which helps,” Walker said. “I think offensively this was by far our best game yet.”

The Pirates defense showed out in the second half with two interceptions from sophomore Zane Pudenz and Walker, as well as a pick six from Vigil.

“Our team is so dynamic and we have so many athletes that teams just can’t key in on one of our players in order to beat us,” Walker said.

With ten minutes left in the game, Porter injured his knee, leaving it up to sophomore Gannon Roth to finish out the game. 

“I was a little nervous but you know, it was a great experience,” Roth said.

The Pirates will face off against 2-6 Coffeyville at home for the first time since 2017 in the first round of the playoffs. 

“I feel like we have a really good chance of going deep into the playoffs this year if we decide to play our way for a full game,” Vigil said. “We should be fine with whatever comes our way.”