The student news site of Piper High School in Kansas City, Kansas.

kcpipernews.com

ANNOUNCEMENTS

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

Ukraine-Russian war raises concerns in Piper

May 16, 2023

PHS dance team puts on spring showcase

May 16, 2023

Submit a Letter to the Editor
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

FCCLA headed to state

FCCLA headed to state

FCCLA has been around for a while, but not many people know what it is. The acronym stands for Family, Career and Community Leaders of America. It is a national club with many chapters around the country.

Members have the opportunity to compete in STAR events (Students Taking Action with Recognition). There are more than 26 different STAR events from which members, with the help of sponsor Megan Carlton, choose to compete.

The competitive events include areas such as Promote FCCLA, Job Interview, Chapter Service Display and Entrepreneurship.

The first level of competition is district. If students do well enough at district, the members go on to the state competition.

“This is our first time making it to state,” Carlton said.

There are 10 people from the Piper chapter going to the state competition April 7-9 in Wichita, including junior Jena Klaas.

“I’m pretty excited I’m going to state because I just joined FCCLA this year,” Klaas said.

She is competing in the job interview category. Participants have to prepare a portfolio with specific documents the judges require,  including a resume and two letters of recommendation. At the competition, the judges require the student  to go through the portfolio with them and then they ask questions as if it were a real job interview.

The students are scored by two adults and one student judge who use rubrics specific to that event.

The members going to the state competition will also attend a state meeting.

The other students who qualified are: Mikaylee Anaya, Darius Drew, Gabi Kempf, Maddie Hays, Carly Johnson, Briana Garcia,  Tatum Salvino, Sydney C. Johnson and Taylor Jenkins.

If the competitors win their STAR event at state, they will go on to the next level, nationals, which are July 7-11 in Nashville.

While a trip to Nashville sounds exciting, FCCLA members are taking things one step at a time in hopes of achieving their goals at state.

Donate to kcpipernews.com
$770
$2000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Piper High School - KS. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.