Higher standards spark stress for ever-evolving generations

Keegan Sparks, Editor-In-Chief

“Obstacles, of course, are developmentally necessary; they teach kids strategy, patience, critical thinking, resilience and resourcefulness.” — Naomi Wolf

We’ve all heard it. It seems like no matter where we turn, whether it be to a parent, a teacher or some other trusted adult, they all have the same message: “Your generation lacks grit.”

This is absolutely true, to an extent. Generally speaking, a walk down a hallway will reveal a generation of students who lack the basic skills to cope with any form of adversity.

The most common flavor of struggle comes with grades. The so-called “trophy generation,” who have often received rewards simply for participating, usually have unrealistic expectations about the grades they should receive. Many students believe they should receive an “A” just for trying, and if they don’t, they sift through an exhaustive list of erroneous statements, including but not limited to: “He only gave me a ‘C’ because he hates me!” or “I would have a better grade if she was a better teacher!”

The common trend is a lack of personal responsibility. Nearly everyone, myself included, has said one of those statements in a desperate attempt to blame our failures on anybody else except ourselves.

Of course, there are actually some outside factors that many adults fail to consider when giving the digital generation a verbal lashing. First, we are accustomed to a certain standard of comfort and ease. We have all had cell phones since we were 6 and have been living in a world with Google, founded in 1998. With such high levels of comfort, it can be difficult to work at all.

Second, academic standards have increased through the roof. You would be delusional to think that school hasn’t changed since our teachers were in school. College was cheaper, admission was easier and less competitive, and the two most godforsaken letters in the English alphabet (AP, as in advanced placement) had not yet been put together. Life was simpler, albeit less technologically advanced. It’s important to remember to compare the workload of the average high school student in 2000 vs. 2015.

These standards are high, but they are in no way unachieveable, and they are not excuse for my generation’s severe lapse in grit. Fellow students, I urge you to stop blaming your teachers and start reflecting inward. Ask what you can do to improve yourself. Hold yourself accountable, and be your own advocate. It is amazing what can be accomplished with a small amount of effort.