The student news site of Piper High School in Kansas City, Kansas.

kcpipernews.com

ANNOUNCEMENTS

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

Ukraine-Russian war raises concerns in Piper

May 16, 2023

PHS dance team puts on spring showcase

May 16, 2023

Submit a Letter to the Editor
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

‘Insidious: Chapter 2’ movie review

The infamous Lambert family is back in a thrilling adventure that leaves you frightened even after you leave the theater.

“Insidious: Chapter 2”  is a captivating sequel to the frightening scare, “Insidious.”

The sequel attempts to uncover the mysteries of the last movie. As most movies do with sequels, the first movie leaves you hanging. “Insidious: Chapter 2” gives the backstory of what happened in the previous movie.

The movie began with a little boy, (Garrett Ryan) whose  mother (Jocelin Donahue) had called a demonologist (Lindsay Seim) to help with her son’s frequent alarming nightmares. Elise Rainier , the demonologist, is horrified by the happenings with her client’s child.

The movie turned to a more familiar scene, with the Lambert family front and center. As expected, the family is dealing with strange occurrences. For a while, they assumed the paranormal happenings stemmed from the house they were living in.

So, when they reached their breaking point, they moved into Josh Lambert’s (Patrick Wilson) mother’s (Barbara Hershey) home.

The Lambert’s thought their nightmare was over, until Renai Lambert (Rose Byrne) began to experience more paranormal activity. Her husband, Josh, tried to assure her that the spirits should be ignored.

The movie progresses with more frightening experiences for the characters, and the viewers. About 30 minutes into the movie, I had serious thoughts of walking out for a few minutes, just to get a break from the constant action.

Many of the horror movies I have seen had moments throughout where nothing horrific happens. This allows my heart rate to settle back down to a normal rate. With “Insidious: Chapter 2,”  I had no moments of peace. The action was relentless, and spine-chilling.

Renai and Josh’s mom, Lorraine, dig fearlessly into Josh’s past in an attempt to figure out why he seems to be acting in a bizarre manner. Finding the secrets of Josh’s past turned out to be extremely dangerous. With the deteriorating state of Josh, there is no time to spare in uncovering the dark secrets of the “other side,” which will not seem to leave the Lambert’s alone.

Little by little, the mystery uncovers itself for the characters, and the viewer. Once again, the conclusion of the movie leaves you hanging, which leaves the possibility of a third movie.

“Insidious: Chapter 2”  is a fantastic movie if you are looking for a great Halloween scare. It will not disappoint on the scare factor. But, beware, nightmares may follow the viewing of this bloodcurdling movie.

Donate to kcpipernews.com
$770
$2000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Piper High School - KS. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.