Increasing awareness of mental illness

Examination+stress

Getty Images/Vetta

Examination stress

Cailin O'Mara, Managing Editor

The burdens of high school students are underestimated: school, sports, jobs and social obligations compound into hectic lives. For some, however, the struggles of adolescence are exacerbated by mental illness.

Speaking about mental illness in our school system is often considered taboo; students in the hall say a test score makes them depressed, yet ignore the real problems of their peers. In our education system we do not give students with mental illnesses the attention they deserve, which is a disservice to everyone.

At Piper, a strong infrastructure exists to provide mental health care to students in need, but social stigma often deters students from taking advantages of these resources. One of the main deterrents for students with mental illnesses is the perception that their feelings aren’t legitimate.

When teachers assign large workloads or give unexpected quizzes, students with mental illnesses may feel overwhelmed. These feelings, contrary to common belief, are completely out of the control of the person that experiences them. Despite this truth, many students in our school mock or lessen the concerns of their peers.

The effects that this dismissal can have on students with mental illnesses are various and deeply felt. When we don’t acknowledge students’ individual needs, we ignore them as people. This can have effects as serious as suicide. We must take every student’s needs in close consideration in the academic environment.

In our school, the remedies to this issue are simple: take more consideration towards all students. This responsibility falls on all members of our educational system, both students and teachers.

Teachers need to be more conscious of students’ mental health needs, whether that means customizing the learning experience for a student’s specific need or simply offering flexibility and support. It is also crucial that student perception of mental illness at our school be reshaped to support inclusion and compassion.

The biggest component in breeding a comfortable environment for all students is starting an honest conversation about mental illness in our school. By teaching students the realities of living with a mental illness, we can create a more supportive student body. When we are inclusive of everyone, people with real issues are more inclined to speak up.

The other aspect of fixing this problem lies in changing the language by which we talk about mental illness. All too often, students with mental illnesses are categorized as weak, weird or unstable. These types of generalizations are dangerous because they ingrain the illness deeply into a person’s identity, when so often the afflicted person wants nothing more than to stand independent of their illness.

We must also stop using words such as anxiety, depression, bipolar and schizophrenic in inaccurate ways. Calling your friend who is having a moody day bipolar is not only offensive, but undermines the very real struggles of people with mental illnesses.

School is an environment designated for learning and collaborative growth. Our school, however, is suffering from a serious case of misinformation. Through educative measures, we can create a safe learning environment for all.