Student clubs participate in Homecoming parade

Seniors Shaylee Kane and Emmett Lockridge ride in the 2015 Homecoming parade. The junior class prince and princess are candidates for Homecoming king and queen this year.

Kristen Warner

Kristen Warner

Kristen Warner

Grace Haworth, Staff Writer

The Piper Homecoming parade is taking place at 5:30 Sept. 16 in streets surrounding the high school. The route will be the same as the previous year, and in the past it has lasted approximately 15 to 20 minutes. According to athletic director Doug Key there are 37 floats in the parade, so the time may be longer than past years.

If you would like to help decorate a float, talk to the leader of that club for more information. Some of the floats that will be in the parade are Key Club, the Kansas City, Kansas Fire Department, Gay-Straight Alliance and of course, Homecoming royalty. The band will be marching the parade as well.

The prince and princesses for the freshman class are Cameron Blevins and Grace Banes, the sophomores are Cooper Beebe and Macy Nigh and the juniors are Maria Accardi and Ryan Bach. The candidates for queen are Jami Gooch, Zoe Surprise, Crystal Obiefuna, Shaylee Kane and Halia Whiles. The candidates for king are Emmett Lockridge, Micaiah Noel, James Letcher, Weston Gardner and Aaron Hawes.

In previous years the parade was organized by Cerry Howlett, but this year it is being organized by the Piper Optimist Club and the activity department. This change was made because Howlett no longer wanted to organize the parade.

The parade route will start on Independence Boulevard, near Hutton, and will extend to Piper Middle School. Spectators should line up anywhere along that route in order to get a good view of the parade. In the case of bad weather, the parade will be cancelled if the homecoming football game is cancelled.