Varsity football loses a tough game to Basehor-Linwood

Grace Haworth, Graphic Design Editor

The varsity football team put up a good fight but ended up losing to the Basehor-Linwood Bobcats 48-34 Oct. 14 at Basehor-Linwood.

Senior JJ Letcher scored the first touchdown of the game, which gave the Pirates a head start against the Bobcats. Letcher then scored again and the Pirates lead the Bobcats 14-0. To end the first quarter, sophomore Trey Bates deflected a pass from Basehor-Linwood that would have been a touchdown, forcing the Bobcats to settle for a field goal. At the end of the first quarter, the score was 14-3.

In the second quarter Letcher intercepted the ball, but the Pirates never scored. The Bobcats then went on to score two touchdowns, one of which was due to an interception, leaving the score at 17-14 Basehor.

After halftime, Letcher scored another touchdown and the Pirates took back their lead, 21-17, but this didn’t last long. Basehor came back with a touchdown and a field goal, ending the third quarter at 27-21 Bobcats.

In the forth quarter Letcher gave the Pirates hope with a 50-yard touchdown with only three minutes and 10 seconds left on the clock. Similar to the third quarter, Basehor came back, but this time with a vengeance. The Bobcats scored three touchdowns and a two-point conversion with just minutes left in the game, making the score 48-28. In a final effort to catch up to the Bobcats Letcher scored a touchdown with 18 seconds left on the clock, but the Bobcats still took the win with a final score of 48-34.