Favorite fall activities rest in stereotyped category

Students feel their likes and dislikes are valid, if popular.

Sophomore+Taran+Kerst+poses+for+a+selfie+while+drinking+Starbucks.+

Submitted

Sophomore Taran Kerst poses for a selfie while drinking Starbucks.

Lauren Textor, Editor-In-Chief

As with all seasons, there are many images and activities typically associated with autumn. Leaves in bright hues of red, orange and yellow, the shift from wearing shorts to long pants and visiting pumpkin patches all fall into this category. However, some autumnal associations lead to stereotyping.

Some students feel that the popularity of fall trends such as the wearing of leggings and drinking of pumpkin spice lattes has led to a negative opinion of younger generations.

Junior Jessica Hutchings said that social media gave her ideas for activities to do in the fall. Hutchings enjoys the fashionable clothing and seasonal drinks that come with autumn, but these things are sometimes seen as silly due to the sudden rise in their popularity. However, despite the common categorization of these objects as stereotypical teenager preoccupations, Hutchings doesn’t let this stop her from enjoying herself.

“If you find enjoyment in it, then you should do it,” Hutchings said.

Sophomore Taran Kerst agreed, and said that she typically thought of sweaters, leggings, Ugg boots and hot chocolate when she thought of fall, because of the previous hype surrounding those objects.

Kerst said that while she enjoys traditional fall activities as much as anyone else, she feels that they are sometimes looked down upon by older generations because they are seen as stereotypical teenager behavior.

“I think it just kind of makes us [teenagers] all look basic, like we’re all the same,” Kerst said.

While this may not seem like a big deal, millennials are often subject to the opinion that their likes, dislikes and feelings in general are foolish and unimportant. Even when the topic is favorite fall activities, students feel that it is important to disprove this.

“I just think a lot of people mention it to me as soon as I wear Uggs,” Kerst said. “As soon as I start reaching the stereotype, people point it out, like, ‘Oh my God, of course you’re wearing that,’ but it doesn’t make me not wear it any more than I already do.”

Although fall fashion, pumpkin patches and piping hot Starbucks lattes may seem unimportant to some, it’s the little things that bring joy to the lives of students, especially when school is back in session.